PZ44

Hi, I live in Mexico and would like to know all about this product as I plan on using a Doughpro Pizza Press in my by the slice operation.

Does anyone have the name of the manufactor a/o telephone numbers where I can contact them and check and see if there is any distribution here to Mexico please?

By the way how are you results when using it?

HI Kino:

The info you requested:

Doughprocess Corporation
PO Box 869
7328 Madison St
Paramount, CA 90723
562-531-0305

I have no clients using the dough press so I can not comment.

George Mills

Kino,

For information on the PZ-44, go to http://www.foremostfarms.com/ and look at Ingredient Products (under OUR PRODUCTS). Then click on Pizza. That will take you to information on the PZ-44.

PN

having used a press before, if the dough is aged a day or so & you bring it out 30 minutes prior to using, there isn’t any need for any other additives…

CiCi’s uses a press & a very basic dough recipe…yes, there will be some snap back, but minimal…

Cool thanks alot for your help everyone :slight_smile:

Just a word of caution; in Mexico a lot of the flour (even bread flour) is milled to a high level of starch damage. This results in the doughs having a relatively high absorption value, in the 60% range is not uncommon. If you allow a dough made with a high starch damage flour to ferment for any significant length of time, the damaged starch, which is carrying a lot of the extra water is hydrolized to sugar and the water is freed up, this results in a VERY soft and sticky dough that cannot be used. If you run into this problem, your only recourse is to employ very short (think not more than about 90-minutes) fermentation times, this will necessitate the use of some type of reducing agent, such as PZ-44 to relax the dough sufficiently to press it out without excessive memory/snap-back.
The key to making good pizza is to see if you can get some of the same flour that is used by Bimbo for use in making their breads (pan blanco/pan de caja/pan pullman).
What part of Mexico will you be in?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply.

I’m in San Luis Potosi, a bit of a ways from the border in a medium sized city. I did use the run of the mill flour that is sold here (Although some other pizza makers in bigger cities apparently buy imported flour at Costcos, I haven’t tried it yet as i’m still in the experimental process) I think our flour down here is probably lower-gluten but there is a readily available flour with protein content of 13%.

Ok using this recipe for frozen dough from your recipe:

Flour (a strong bread or pizza flour having 12.8 to 13.5% protein content is recommended.
Salt: 1.75%
Sugar: 2.0 to 3.0%
Olive Oil: 3.0%
Compressed Yeast: 1.5 to 2.0%
Water: 65.0% (ice cold)

I did find it extremely sticky and had to flour it, I didn’t stretch well in the Doughpro cold and snapped back. When I let it warm up a few hours (And rise) I had better results, but it still didn’t stretch out as it should. When the machine was turned on and the platens warm it all stuck to the press. I had the dough and the presser well oiled also by the way. The pie it made did taste really great though so I was happy with that part. Just that I didn’t see any advantage in using a dough pro as I had to stretch the other 50% of it out by hand.

What I would like to do is make up all my dough and freeze it (unfermented) then take it out and let it warm up a little before pressing. I would assume the dough is then going to mostly rise in the oven, so it would to need to be docked before topping it no? Or would it be better to just press out several pies and let the dough sit out and rise for a few hours before topping?

I just got my mixer today finally! So i’m going to try a 50% water mixture and add more oil to 5%
Someone told me that granulated garlic would work the same as PZ44, but i’ve read that garlic could interfere with the fermentation problems. Considering my problem with obtaining PZ44 would Garlic be a viable option?

Garlic in the dough should work just about as well as PZ-44. You will need to work out the amount to use though. The reason why the dough had so much memory (snap-back) is because it didn’t contain and reducing agent such as PZ-44, onion, or garlic. As for the dough sticking to the press, this can result from a number of things, a dough that is tearing under the press, die temperature that is too hot, die temperature that is too cold, and insufficient dwell time. Normally, a die temperature of 265 to 285F and a dwell time of 6-seconds works well so long as the dough is properly stretched, not torn during the pressing operation. Why is it that you want to freeze the dough? To freeze a pressed dough you might try the following: Increase the yeast to the 3 to 5% (as compressed yeast) level, use ADY or IDY at corresponding substitution levels if you wish, adjust the finished dough temperature to 90 to 95F, immediately scale and bal the dough after mixing. Allow the dough to proof/rest until the dough can be easily pressed without excessive memory. After pressing, take the formed dough skin directly to the freezer.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor