Question about grill/ventilation

Ok there is a small country store coming up for sale I would like to purchase. They have an electric oven with no ventilation and lackluster menu(pizza only…nothing fancy) I would use a ventless countertop fryer to expand the menu a bit, but my question is what about a small electric countertop griddle to make cheesesteaks and burgers on? Do they have to be vented? I live in PA.

Thanks!

Check your local building code. Locally, anything that produces grease and potential for grease fire must be ventilated and have a hood and fire suppression. That includes fryers, stove tops, griddles, char grills, and anything else like that.

Hey, thanks for the response and yes you were right… :frowning:

Ok I can scrap the burger bit, but is it possible to cook minute steaks and chicken breasts in the oven for salads and sandwiches?

Thanks again!

I have been cooking steaks, burgers, and chicken in my Lincoln Impinger for years. What I do is run a cookie sheet through the oven, and pre-heat it, and then I place my meat on the hot sheet, and run through again, I like my Steaks Medium Rare, and it seems to do the trick every time. I imagine you will have to work with your oven to determine your specific cook times, but broiling a beef or chicken in a pizza oven is quite acceptable.

But again, your meats will create grease, or oils, that could pose a fire risk, I imagine that if your health inspector, or your fire marshal new you were cooking something other than the intended use (pizza) in your oven they might ask you to put a hood over it.

I used to run a burger joint in a bar. We used a product called “Pub burgers” they were pre-cooked burgers that only needed to be re-heated, I have also seen pre-cooked steaks that only need to be finished, they would come Medium Rare, and you can re-heat them or you can cook them to “Medium” or “Well Done” or whatever specification you desire beyond “Medium Rare”, I know it sound odd, but it would reduce your grease, or oils, and in fact you could use your vent-less fryer to re-heat them. That is a common practice in many kitchens. We used to drop our sliced roast beef into the fryer to warm it up when making hot roast beef sandwiches.

Hello Scotty,you definitely need a hood and ansel system in PA to do that.Where in PA are you? I am in Lansdale.

Thanks for the response. I looked around today on some local websites and they do carry fully cooked wings, chicken breasts, and burgers. Pierre foods make the burgers…I would hope their not filler and junk…but trial and error. :slight_smile:

Hi, I am west in the Johnstown area. I have not been to philly…yet :slight_smile:

BTW where I worked before had a deli and we made cakes and deli salads(alot of profit). Does an electric stove with just a baking oven and burners require ventilation? The one we used also had a grill, but mine would not.

Thanks!

The national building code calls for all cooking, frying and most all baking equipment to be under a hood. Fire Marshalls across the nation are generally requiring fire protection in most all hoods.

There are some vent-less units for doing french fries.

You say the shop has an electric oven, what type oven is that deck oven, conveyor, or? Make Model?

Check with your building and fire inspectors. In a new operator situation they may require some up grading and that oven may be required to have a hood.

George Mills

Maybe look into a Convection/microwave oven?
Those things can turn out some really good burgers, so I would assume some of the other products like what you are looking at would be good too.