Ready or not here I come

I’m mostly speaking to myself in my title, because that is what this process honestly feels like each day that I work through this business plan.

I’m a married gal in my late twenties with two kiddos and a bachelor’s degree in Hotel & Restaurant Management from the University of Houston. I have worked in restaurants since I was 16 with my first job being at a CiCi’s Pizza. Through the years I ventured off to PaPa John’s, IHOP, Chili’s, Sprinkles, Starwood hotels (Food/Bev department), Houston’s (Hillstone), Churchill (Gastro pub in LA), and Jimmy John’s. My roles varied at all of these places from phone-girl, counter person, expediter, delivery driver, shift leader, server, cocktail waitress, assistant manager, and general manager in-training. Three of these restaurants were actually opening locations that I got to watch build from the ground up. Only 1 of the 3 were actually successful, but the information I learned from all three store’s triumphs and mistakes were invaluable. Jimmy John’s was the successful one by the way… I was part of the opening team that brought California their very first Jimmy John’s store. It was a pretty fascinating process.

I have reached my goal in savings to where my time has now come to put my long restaurant hours towards my own business. I have done my time learning from others while saving for myself, and I am ready to accept the challenge. I supported my husband and our family while he finished his doctorate, and this year it is officially my turn to focus on my own agenda. So ready or not, here I come. I will not allow fear to get in my way. I am an experienced, knowledgeable, educated person in the industry and feel I have as good of a chance as anyone else to be successful (yes I understand that chance is the key word).

I have many questions which I suppose I’ll post in separate threads? I am so relieved to have this forum, it seems like a supportive community with good information and valuable experiences and lessons to be shared. We are so lucky to live in this day and age where something like this is available that we can talk to fellow business owners from across the world. So neat.

Welcome to the Think Tank. I have found the people here very helpful and brutally honest when I have gone the wrong way.