Recommendation for prep table/dough retarder?

Does anyone have any recommendation for a refrigerated prep table. I’m looking for something around 7’. I’d like to be able to stretch out a 12"-16" pie on it. I think I would prefer a marble counter top, and I also need something to hold the toppings, I think they call it a “condiment rail”.

Thanks,
Frank

I would go with the marsal pizza prep table with the elevated rail…it has a well for the sauce and a rail above with alot of working space…If we were in the market for one this would be the one i would get…i saw it advertised in the pmq mag

Hi NJ Frank

We have been placing La Rosa Pizza prep tables for I believe about 30 years. High Quality woorkmanship. Our clients who use them find them the most reliable reliable and recommend them.

http://www.larosaequip.com/equipment/pi … tables.htm

We also have many clients who use the True models. And are very happy with them.

http://www.truemfg.com/CC_host/pages/cu … rue_master

There are other excelent compinies The above being the 2 we do the most With.

George Mills

Sometimes it comes down to what you can afford. I am not familiar with the two brands mentioned so far but we primarily use Delfield in most of our stores. Quality product and holds up well. True is a cheaper alternative that is probably the best of the “value” line of products. When money gets tight, we have purchased Beverage Air. They do not hold up as well – less sturdy and more flimsy – but they seem to last as long as any other as far as the compressors go.

What is the advantage of the elevated rail, for more working space? The only disadvantage is that it seems like you would be standing behind a huge wall, and closed off, whereas without the elevated rail you can look over the prep table. What I like too about that Marsal is the sauce well, however, the downside to the sauce well is that you won’t get the storage underneath if the well is there. Also, those LaRosa’s seem nice however they are a lot of money and from what I’ve heard the Marsal is obscenely expensive.

I appreciate all of the input, if anyone else has any insight or experience please keep it comin.
Thank you,
Frank

In my last place I had 3 cold tables, 2 single door freezers, 1 three door freezer, and they were all made by True. In the twelve years I used them I only replaced the door gaskets once, and in one of the single door freezers I replaced a compressor. Not to shabby for the price of the True units! Good luck!

If you’re planning to stretch the dough out on the top of the prep table, my personal advice is to go with a plain stainless steel top working surface, it is second to non in ease of stretching the dough out on, and it sure is a lot easier to clean and maintain.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

George ever heard of continental? I choose them over true for certain feature one you can turn the rail off it has its own cooling system .I guess when the rails empty you can shut it off save energy ?

Response:
Yes; I have never heard anything bad about those units. For some reason none of our clients specify that make.

Mostly the reason for the shut off switch is that on the more efficient units the condiment rail will ice up if left cooling over mite. Your correct it saves power also.

George Mills

I definitely don’t want my dough to get any more retarded…the few times I’ve tried to make pizza from scratch at home have been a disaster…stupid dough!

Has anyone had any experience with or heard of Migali?

http://www.migali.com/PDF/New%20Catalog … zaPrep.pdf

I see a few downsides to your requested table. First, you’re bound to get excess flour on the table. You don’t want the screen (assuming you’re using one) to ever get near flour.

The marble top is going to be expensive AND heavy.

I see a few downsides to your requested table. First, you’re bound to get excess flour on the table. You don’t want the screen (assuming you’re using one) to ever get near flour.

The marble top is going to be expensive AND heavy.

I don’t use a screen, I just drag the pizza onto a wooden peel. Therefore, I really don’t mind having excess flour on the table, actually I lightly flour my prep area. As far as it being heavy once its installed I don’t plan on moving it anywhere. Also, where my prep table is situated is in full view of customers so I would like something asthetically pleasing, however, having a marble top isn’t something I’m hell bent on having. The reason I was thinking of marble is that it gives an traditional Italian look. Thank you for your thoughts, it helps me take everything into consideration a little better.

We had a LaRosa until 3 years ago. It was used when it was put into the store in 1987, and was still working when we replaced it. In 9 years, we replaced the compressor twice, but the table was at least 20 years old.
It developed a freon leak and we were having to have it charged every few months. Rather than run the risk that it just “died” one day, we replaced it with a 10’ True in 2005. We also have a True sandwich table and a True double door freezer. True may not be the top rated, but we’ve been very pleased with our units.

You can get any of the tables everybody posted about & go to a marble counter top maker. See if they have any pieces that someone didn’t pick up or a piece with a flaw in it. I got my marble for $150 and glued it to the top of a mega top pizza table. It 6ft long & 20" deep.Frank I’m in NJ too,and i had a marble top table for the last 10 years.What

I’m sorry, I didn’t make my concern clear. If you’re going to get a traditional pizza prep table, often the front apron isn’t deep enough, and people will make cutting boards that extend forward past the apron (more work surface area). Some do have a large enough apron. If you’re looking at extending the marble past the apron by any decent amount, my concern is that the unit would be front-top heavy. In addition, if not properly secured, I’d be concerned that an employee could “slide it” while cleaning (it’d take work, but people can find new ways to hurt themselves daily).

Those are my concerns. I don’t know the answer, but I’d also make sure that the marble cannot fail the “easy to clean” requirement and that any sealant on it would be non-toxic. Again, I’m just trying to make sure you get what you want without getting issues you don’t want.

I’m sorry, I didn’t make my concern clear. If you’re going to get a traditional pizza prep table, often the front apron isn’t deep enough, and people will make cutting boards that extend forward past the apron (more work surface area). Some do have a large enough apron. If you’re looking at extending the marble past the apron by any decent amount, my concern is that the unit would be front-top heavy. In addition, if not properly secured, I’d be concerned that an employee could “slide it” while cleaning (it’d take work, but people can find new ways to hurt themselves daily).

Gothcha :idea: I was thinking along the same lines. That is one of the pros the Marsal has. The elevated rail on the Marsal does allow for more working space, but asthetically I’m not sure if I like it. And I know I definitely don’t like the price, lol. Also, the largest pie I make is a 16" so I’m not sure how much extra work space I will need, but then again it might be a lot more convenient working on the larger area the tables with the elevated rails give you. Anyway, I’ll keep thinking about it, it’s probably gonna be a game time decision when I crunch some more numbers on the budget.

Elevated rails are also nice for cleaning. If they are not elevated the toppings find their way back into fully stocked pans and toppings get mixed. we just bought a unit from Alpha Restaurant Equipment (you can google it) and they have an awesome one they manufacture for a GREAT price and shipping was FREE.