Robo Coupe Mixer

I’m purchasing a closed shop and it has a VCM by Robo Coupe. I’ve never used this before for dough, usually just a 60qt Hobart. Any thoughts on a VCM? Thanks!

Depending on the size, you may find it a bit inconvenient…I don’t think the are generally as large as Hobart VCM’s…

I do believe Tom will say be careful not to over mix.

Spot on! While it is difficult to over mix a pizza dough with most types of mixers, the VCM type mixers are the exception. Your mixing time will be on the order of 70 to 90-seconds, and 10 to 15-seconds additional time can make all the difference in the world.
Some things to keep in mind when using this type of mixer;

1. Always put the water in the bowl first.
  2. Always prehydrate (ADY or IDY) or suspend (compressed yeast) the yeast before you add it to the water in the mixing bowl. No need to jog the mixer, just add the yeast.
  3. Add dry ingredients on top of the water and mix for about 20-seconds, or just until the ingredients begin to come together.
  4. Add the oil.
  5. Continue mixing JUST until a smooth dough is formed (typically 70 to 90-seconds, but it could be less depending upon your flour and dough absorption used).
    Tip: To help control the finished dough temperature, Have a five gallon bucket handy filled with 1/2 ice and 1/2 water, pour this into the mixing bowl and let it stand for a minute or two to chill the bowl, then pour the water back into the bucket for use with following mixes. Immediately after removing the ice water from the bowl, add your dough water, yeast suspension, other dry ingredients and prepare the dough as described above. Once the dough is mixed, handle it as you would any other pizza dough.
    Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor