salt, water, and IDY, Tom Lehmann

Is it OK to mix the water, salt, and IDY together before adding the flour and mixing ?

in other words, will the salt affect the IDY in water in a bad way.

look forward to hearing from you Tom, and anyone else,
Otis

there is no need to add the IDY w/the water…you can, but I add mine w/the flour & mix for several minutes b4 I add the oil…

“here is no need to add the IDY w/the water…you can, but I add mine w/the flour & mix for several minutes b4 I add the oil…”

thanks Patriot, that’s my usual way too…
I was wondering if I mix the salt, IDY, and water, put in bottum of mixer, add flour on top, might the mix be better ?

that’s because I have a barrell mixer and it is less aggressive than a planetary mixer and I have to mix longer. perhaps the IDY and salt already absorbed in the water, that I’d get a head start on the mixing…
just do not know about the effect of salty water on IDY for around 10 minutes… I understand you can store IDY and salt together…
I’m hoping Tom will say “no problem”
looking for your thoughts Tom !
Otis

you might have a little bit better mix, but not measurably…I make goodie bags, so storing salt & IDY isn’t an issue…I use a spiral mixer and have no problems

I may do the goodie bag too, good to know salt and IDY will store together, I would think if added to water would be OK too,
Otis

I have been told: if you dissolve the salt into the water completely and then add IDY and dissolve there will be no issues… this is because the salt will have already used all the water it needs to dissolve and then osmotic pressure is balanced in the solution, and the yeast can then dissolve with no issue. I assume that if done the other way around the salt could theoretically kill some yeasties by trying to s*ck up water and rupturing cell walls in the process from the yeast in the water, but the amount damaged would probably be insignificant…

I mix water/salt/IDY together all the time, but I always dissolve my salt first and then add IDY like I mentioned above.

• aba

looks like I can store my salt and IDY together in a goodie bag and put it in the water to disolve. I try it.
Otis