sauerkraut qualities query

So, some few of us are trying to add kraut to our pizza offerings. Some are adamantly opposed to it, I would guess. Gotta love variety, eh? I am finding that like every darned thing in the world, selecting a sauerkraut is not as simple as picking some up and slapping it on something.

What kind of kraut are you using? I am finding that there is at least one specialty style: bavarian: that is very lightly sweet, and has acaraway already in it. I am betting that like beer, there are dozens of styles and substyles of fermented, salted cabbage. Right now, I am looking at a couple of brands that are used and marketed by major sausage companies. I have not yet tasted them, but have samples and price is fair. They come in plastic, refrigerated bags, and some moisture is present.

PLAN: open bags, rinse half of each sample thoroughly in cold running water in strainer. Just drain other half and put in separate container. Taste both plan, then on my pizza. Pie would be done in fourths . . . . rinsed A - drained A - rinsed B - drained B.

Once I get the kraut right, I’ll tune in my mustard sauce for sweetness, sharpness and bite. Then, the public taste testing before nationwide distribution. :slight_smile: I could even ship some ofer to our needy friends down under who probably can’t get a proper Sheboygan bratwurst. :frowning:

Nick,
I have played with kraut on pizza for personal consumption and love it. It does tend to make things soggy if not thouroghly drained. Try running some in a salad spinner to remove excess standing moisture first.

Rick

I’ve heard of some people rinsing the kraut with water and then leaving in spread out in a pan to dry. Not completely but almost. Then using it on a pizza. I haven’t tried it yet but I will.

We did a Sauerkraut Veggie pizza a few months ago as a Pizza of the Month. Once the customers got passed the idea of saukerkraut on a pizza – they loved it! It ended up being a good seller. We used sauerkraut from a bag and did not rinse, but did squeeze out extra juice. Baking seemed to take out some of the sour flavor – but added a nice crunchiness to the toppings.