Scared

Do you think the hatred of the restaurant business is isolated only to pizza shop operators or do you guys think all restaurateurs hate their jobs and career decision? :roll:

Seems like every other person I talk to who is in the pizza business hates it or has negative things to say. I don’t hear that near as much from other restaurateurs.

I am not sure they hate their job. I tend to lean on the side of they would hate to see someone get into the job that has no clue. I have had customers say the pizza business is a license to print money. We all know that is not the case. I guess what I am saying is we are warning off those who think the business is an easy money business. I doubt that many of us when asked in elementary school what we wanted to do when we grow up answered, “I want to have my own pizza store.”

I spent over 20 years working for various forms of government agencies and big companies. I am much happier working my 80 hours a week for my self than I ever was working for THE MAN. But I am still fat, bald and grumpy :lol:

The real question is how long does it take a new guy to the pizza shop biz to realize that they really don’t own a pizza shop, they own a marketing business. :shock:

The sooner the better :wink:

I’ve recently decided I own a Staffing Company that happens to operate as a restaurant. Getting my personnel to execute the system is the biggest challenge I face not just day to day, but transaction to transaction. No wait, finding employees with the necessary skill set to deliver remote-ordered, on-demand, mass-customized meals AND who are “people persons” is my greatest challenge.

Although, some days it seems like more of a fool’s errand than anything else. Those are the times I “hate owning a pizza restaurant.”

I am nearly at that same 20 years. That is why I am looking into this business. On a side note I was just accepted into law school. So now my options are:

1. Start a pizza shop
  2. Start law school. Was accepted into the part time evening program so I can graduate in 4 years. At that point I would have 19 years with my current employer. I would spend the 19th year studying for and passing the bar. At year 20 I would start my law business and have a guaranteed retirement check for the rest of my life.

I did not mention that I had applied to law school in my original post because I did not want to contaminate the potential responses and I had not been accepted. However, now I have been accepted and that creates a whole new dynamic.

What about quiting my job and opening the shop while attending law school? Mom was right, life is full of forks in the road.

put the 100k into apple computer now that it is down, keep your job and wait a year and see if you still need a pizza place or want one. if it is a good place for pizza dominos is on the way and a town of 5000 gets real small with them around. without knowing the town it’s all theory. j

Working for 5 years and having a pension is a no brainer.

Amended to add: even for a lawyer.

[quote=“goodmank”]

i really hope u were kidding here…if not, you are better off taking your 100K to Vegas

keep that job you hate, get your pension, get your degree, pay your bills, enjoy your family

this biz is life consuming in the beginning, not a part-time gig

Only you know in your heart what the heck to do. Clearly the consensus is don’t do it. It takes passion and a fulltime devotion. I am a newbie in the business and walked away from a near six figure salary because I hated my job. I worked a ton of hours in that job too, but at least I had a couple days off, great benefits, and a social life. Now, even if i have nothing going on and we are dead, I still have to be tied to the pizza shop. It has been the most stressful year of my life. But with all the stress and sleepless nights, and worrying about how to shuffle money around just to get bills paid…I still love it. It takes a certain kind of lunatic to get into the food business of any kind. The sacrifices will be there for sure. In my opinion, you have to go all in. Having several sibling lawyers, I can assure you that law school and a part time job as a pizza delivery driver would be very difficult to do. Absolutely no way you could pull off going to school and owning. I am on my toes all day figuratively and literally, trying to market this place and build it into a viable, successful business. It is not just somewhere you show up to and make pizzas and go home. You have to be constantly strategizing or you are dead before you start. Just my two cents from a “non” vet. Time for a gut check.

Would it be possible with my wife running the shop full time?

Would it be possible with my wife running the shop full time?

I am laughing literally right now. Are you serious?