Sea Salt

Anyone using sea salt? ? My son thinks I should try a batch of dough with it. Not sure if I would use same amount as regular salt or have to adjust other ingredients

Sea salt is what I use in all of my doughs. No need to change the amount. I use a brand called “Monte Pollino” from Sicily in fine ground form.

What is the change in flavor??

Daisy;
We have never seen any difference in flavor in the finished crust resulting from the use of sea salt, sea salt if typically a little lower in total sodium content than regular table salt due to the presence of minerals in the sea salt which can impact the flavor of products to which the salt is added topically, as in a pretzel or potato chip.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Daisy,

Tom’s correct in regards to the sodium content not being a whole lot different. However, I found that due to their taste, texture and the way both salts are being processed, sea salt lends a better flavor to my dough. The minerals in sea salt do add a tad more flavor compared to table salt, which is heavily processed and has the minerals removed.

Table salt has also, in most cases, an anti-clumping agent added.

Are there any adjustments to other ingredients when using sea salt

In almost all cases you can substitute sea salt directly, on a one to one basis for regular table salt. Another thing to remember about “table salt” is that it comes in two basic forms, iodized and non-iodized. The iodized form is what we normally see at the supermarket and the container will indicate that the sale is iodized (to prevent goiter) the non-iodized type is most commonly encountered in commercial use such as in a bakery or other wholesale/large scale food manufacturing facility. The iodine can, in some cases exert a very slight oxidizing effect upon the dough but the impact is so slight that we would never see it unless we were making our doughs in a research laboratory.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

I do have to add that Salt must be weighed as opposed to volumetric measuring (the sausage maker in me speaking)

Lets use Kosher salt for an example, Morton Kosher salt, 1-cup measurement is nearly a 40% difference in weight than the Sysco Branded kosher salt due to flake size .
So please use a scale so your dough doesn’t go south on you

I have always scaled (weighed) my ingredients

I will try a half batch soon to see taste difference