seasoning screens

Hi. Just wondering how everyone seasons their screens. We use just oil and put them in the oven. Thanks for your input.

We use two sheet pans. One to oil the screens and another to coat with cornmeal. We first oil the screens run them through the oven once, then coat with cornmeal and run through two or three more times.

We spray with Pan Spray and put them in the oven.

Don’t do it while you are open…it stinks to high heaven!

Obviously don’t wash them.

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of using the cornmeal as part of the seasoning process, and does it “wear off” such that you have to repeat the process from time to time?

Same here. We use some fat or other and bake in oven for a while to darken and shellack the oil. WQe use whatever is handy . . . fryer oil, liquid margarine. Ours doesn’t so much stink up the place, though. Maybe we aren’t using enough fat.

Olive oil in a dough tray along with basil and oregano, dunk both sides and send through the oven 5 or 6 times.

First, set the oven temperature at not more than 430F. Oil the screens with something like canola oil, and put them through the oven for about 15 minutes. Done.
I don’t recommend seasoning the pans at temperatures higher than 430F as the flash point for most oils is just above this temperature, if you reach the flash point you could be in for some real excitement. BBQ anyone?
Also, do this wonderful task when the store is closed as it can get more than a bit smoky.
To preserve the seasoning, NEVER soak the pans/screens in water. Always hold the pan/screen, scrub in soapy water with a soft bristle brush, dip in rinse water, dip in sanitizer, then wipe dry and put in the oven for a minute or so to thoroughly dry. Nitice: At no time did I ever let go of the pan/screen during the entire wash procedure. If you soak the pan/screens the seasoning will begin to peel off like a bad sunburn, problem is, it doesn’t all come off at the same time, so you’re going to end up feeding some of the stuff to your customers. The only way to correct the problem once it starts is to use a cleaner like Carbon Off to remove all of th eold seasoning, then start all over again.
Trust me, I know this for a fact.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

We brush new screens with the same oil we use to make dough and run them through the oven 3-4 times.

HAHA thats one good way to clear the dining room :slight_smile: