SHEETER USERS

I am about to by new rollers for my sheeter,which are better,stainless steel,Teflon,or the type i now have which are a plastic coated steel

I only have experience with Stainless steel. I have never had any issues whatsoever with them. They’re very easy to keep clean. Maybe someone else will come on and give you a compelling reason to consider some other material, but for my money stainless is the was to go.

scootie,
thx for input…do you sheet cold or warm dough?
is your dough of a drier consistency or high water content?
i do both types of skins and wonder if that would make any difference in the stainless performance…

I have a Somerset with synthetic(plastic) rollers. Never used ss ones but I’m curious as mine have some wear from few years of pretty heavy use. still sheets fine though. somerset claims you don’t need flour to sheet with synthetic, I strongly disagree. I would also think ss rollers need a little more flour than synthetic??

I sheet both warm & cold dough. Warm dough for my deep dish and cold for my thin crust. My deep dish dough has a higher hydration than my thin crust as well. I do use some flour when sheeting, mostly because years ago I was taught that it was much easier to clean up a little dry flour, than stuck dough.

When I worked at Mazzio’s, we used a sheeter with plastic covered rollers.

We did use flour, and only used it on our thin crust formulation.

We never really had any problems with the rollers or any other performance issues.

I’ve worked with both types of rolls. I find that the steel rolls are a bit more difficult to clean as any dough wants to adhere quite nicely to the rolls as it dries. The plastic/UHMW rolls are a lot easier to clean as dough will not stick to it when it dries, but you need to be careful to use only soft plastic scrapers around those rolls or you will gouge them for sure. As far as long term use is concerned, I’ve used both for over 20-years and have yet to have a problem with either type. As far as dusting flour is concerned, I totally agree that it doesn’t make any difference which type of rolls you have, dusting flour is still needed, if for no other reason to help you guide the dough through the rolls.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor