Shrinkage (not the swimming pool kind)

When I make our pan pizzas, they ALWAYS shrink inside the pan. All of my other crusts have 0 problems with that. Its only the pans.

If it helps, I butter the bottom of the pans, then place the thick, sheeted dough (about the same size as the pan) and stretch the center towards the edge all the way around. Then I brush the top with olive oil and cook for 5 minutes, then make the pizza like a regular pizzas and bake. It comes out a lot smaller than when I put in.

Any thoughts?

"It comes out a lot smaller than when I put in. "

Sounds like a personal problem to me :!:

Its been a few years, but I believe the key is to proof the dough in the pan.

We normally do this, but I’ve been having a lot of trouble lately with the shells shrinking in the pan. Some nights I have to sift through several to find a decent shell to use. I think you’re right that the problem is in the proofing process though.

Do you operate a store in a cold climate? In the winter your store may be colder inside. Flour, dough, and pans all drop in temperature. This can effect the amount of time it takes for you to proof your dough. I would try warming your pans before using them or proofing for a longer period of time.

CiCI’s, uses a slightly different formula when they make their “deep dish” pies - a bit more yeast and a bit warmer H2O…it is then bulk proofed until doubled in size…

then it is cut & paned out…proofed again, then re-pressed out in the pan after an hour…then it is wrapped & used within 48 hrs…

Funny you should mention that, cause my kitchen is quite cold for a kitchen.

steveo922 writes:

When I make our pan pizzas, they ALWAYS shrink inside the pan. All of my other crusts have 0 problems with that. Its only the pans.

If it helps, I butter the bottom of the pans, then place the thick, sheeted dough (about the same size as the pan) and stretch the center towards the edge all the way around. Then I brush the top with olive oil and cook for 5 minutes, then make the pizza like a regular pizzas and bake. It comes out a lot smaller than when I put in.

Any thoughts?

You’re stretching the wrong way Steve. You actually want to roll the dough out larger than the size of your pan. When you put the dough in the pan you actually want to pull in towards the middle as you form it around the pan. When you stretch the dough outward, it will always have an elastic effect where it will try to shrink back.

Good luck

-J_r0kk

That is a legitimate suggestion, I kinda feel stupid I didn’t think of that. I’ll give it a try!