SMall town drivers

what age is the minimum you will hire if you are in a small town 10k & under 17 or 18 just trying to get an idea thinking of hiring highschoolers

thanks The Fat Boy

ALL DAY LONG!! You hire high schoolers… especially popular ones with a good work ethic, you’ve got a sales building tool right there in your store. I’ve run countless promotions with the high schools because my kids give me a little inside information of things that are going on in the school. I’ve also done countless sales because my kids tell their friends about us and they come in and hang out. Let me tell you, there’s nothing like a dead dining room with nobody in it… there’s also nothing like a full one with people eating your pizza and having a good time. My minimum age to work here is 16. Hope this helps. -J_r0kk

Whoops! Hold up. Are you talking about drivers or insiders?

drivers

In that case, the first and most important thing you should do is contact your insurance company and see what the stipulations are for having minors as drivers. I know for me, it’s too much and I have good luck keeping older drivers, so it’s a non-issue.

If your insurance company doesn’t have a problem with it, then it’s your choice. Playing the Devil’s advocate role, however: What if something bad happens to that minor driver (getting robbed, getting in a wreck, wrecking into someone else, etc.) Things will be amplified and I’m not sure if you want that kind of publicity. Hope this helps. -J_r0kk

I may be wrong, but I’ve been given the impression that federal labor guidelines restrict anyone under 18 using their car for their job. I would look this up before employing anyone under 18 as a driver.

I may be wrong, but I’ve been given the impression that federal labor guidelines restrict anyone under 18 using their car for their job. I would look this up before employing anyone under 18 as a driver.

Paul,

That’s a good point. Do you know a way we can look this up. I’d like to know for curiosity’s sake. -J_r0kk

We’ve had to keep it at 21 and older. Tried running younger drivers on our policy, but WAY too expensive. We started out with 25 & up, but it cuts way down on the labor pool. I agree that along with the higher premium factor, the inexperienced kids are gonna put you at risk. As far as policy goes, our agent stipulates that they will only insure as young as 18 year olds with 2 years driving experience.
Yeah, it gripes me when I see other operators sending kids out with their own cars, and you KNOW they don’t have them covered. (sorry, changing subject…)
Tom R

The feleral regulation is 29 CFR 570.52. Pizza delivery is considered time-sensitive under the regulation, and therefore can not be performed by anyone under the age of 18.

LabRat,

Thanks for the info. I, like most of us, have always made it a practice not to hire kids to deliver under the age of 18. I, like most of us, was also sure there was some kind of law that prevented minors from delivering pizzas. We just never knew exactly what the law was or where to find it. Thanks for the research. J_r0kk

As soon as they are old enough to drive we hire them that way we have them for at least 3 years

As soon as they are old enough to drive we hire them that way we have them for at least 3 years

Pizzaguy,

What do you do with them after you’ve had them for three years? See, now you’re worrying me. I can’t figure you Canadians out, eh. You “off 'em” don’t you. -J_r0kk

They go and work in the “oil patch” and make stupid amounts of money with no education.

You hit the nail on the head with that one! That is pretty much what happens!