So my manager walks out during lunch today...

Just when we could see a glimmer of light at then end of the tunnel.
Well I am now laughing at the cruel spin on that joke, I do hear the engine…

I think the classified ad will additionally read - also willing to trade for pool cleaning service business. :wink:

Just think, no rent, shorter hours and I could do it all myself.
What a grand business we’re in.

I feel your pain! I was up to 8 employees a couple months ago. So I had my new menus printed with open 7 days hours on them (been closed Tuesday since before we got the place). 3 weeks ago we started opening Tuesdays. Now I am down to 4 employees with one more (been here the longest) leaving June 15th…I would kill to clean pools and sell stuff on ebay about now!

I know where you are comming from. Here is my sob story…one moved to the big city… one is going to be a flag girl on road construction… one is going to work as a swamper in the oil patch… one is going to a money mart for $0.50 more an hour…one is going to be a cabinet maker…one pulled a no show on her last two shifts… one is too stressed to work her only 2 shifts a week.

What is the magic to get good help at a reasonable wage?

Many times I have said to my wife than I’m downsizing to a 200 sq ft shopfront with a window for serving, the counter is the prep bench and the oven behind us. No dine in, no delivery, no staff, no deals, no advertising and no problems with greedy landlords. The old fashion “hole in the wall” operation.

Otis, sometimes I think the size of your trailer is the best option and the best way to do it. Smaller turnover but no hassles.

Dave

Dave,
I can appreciate that because form my point of view, I find my self in envy of having an on going place, eventhough not too large.
Setting up the trailer, constantly dealing with helath department, insurance, and paying more for many things because I do not “fit” into “restaurant” is a hassle.
The “grass is always greener” syndrome is like a law.
Anyway, I am headed back to AZ to set up the trailer and start in the heat of the summer because I am getting bored, maybe boring, not doing it.
appreciate the thought, good to stay in contat here,
Otis

Daddio, How many do you have left? I would give my right arm to that many leave and still be in business>

Dave

[/quote]

I can appreciate that because form my point of view, I find my self in envy of having an on going place, eventhough not too large.
Otis
[/quote]

Is 1735 sq too large for ya ? Our climate is pretty much the same.
Who knows maybe you could use that trailer at some events around the city, there’s always something happening in Vegas! :wink:

Dave

I am left with one full time and two part time. Lucky for me I have family who will come and help after their day job.

Opps that was me. forgot to sign in.

Dave

I am left with one full time and two part time. Lucky for me I have family who will come and help after their day job.

Daddio

Daddio

Really feel for you. It must be really tough the size business you ahve and going through all that.

Here in Western Australia many, many hospitality business are experiencing what is happenening to you. You just can’t get staff for the love of money plus they are leaving for the high paid jobs in the mining industry. They are working 3 weeks on with 12 - 14 hours shifts for the 3 weeks and getting 1 week off - fly in, fly out (2,500 - 3,000km north of Perth) and picking up around $100K and more p.a. plus remote location tax benefits.

In one of the mining towns the Trades college can’t get a garden labourer at $40,000 p.a. as everyone has gone to the mines.

We are running at 3% unemployment so anyone left are the ones who don’t want to be employed and live off the unemployment benefits - basically the dreges of society.

As a side note we were looking for a dishwasher/kitchenhand junior to take some of the duties off the other staff during the peak periods and believe it or not we have had 4 applicants in a couple of days plus some cold canvas resumes from 3 others for any other position.

I’m going to put on as many as I can even if it means going slightly over my wages budget just so I have a pool when the others start leaving as per your current situation.

Best of luck because I know exactly what you are going through.

Dave

Dave

We are in the middle of an oil boom here so I know of what you speak. I went down to the hire a student office and found the lowest paying positions start at $10 no experience required. I just was given notice by one of my drivers that he is going to go move drilling rigs for $20 an hour.