Special Requests

I agree with wa Dave’s attitude, “let the competition deal with with our x difficult customers” on our menu it says “please ,no substitutions” if they insist, no problem i’ll do it but tell them i cannot promise the cooks will get it right. I try to train employees to be consistent in policy whether slow or busy, many times i’ve had customers say “you did that for us last time!” no 3rds no 1/4s no half cooked pizzas, no special sauté items to top a pizza, no salad bar items on pizza or vice versa (gets too crazy),the cooks struggle with busy nights, I do my best to make their job as efficient and smooth as possible, in the long run = more happy customers.

I have a simple rule: if we can’t do it 100% of the time for 100% of the customers, we won’t do a special request. I do 1/4, 1/2, 1/3 and slices on pizzas but they get charged halfs and whole toppings.
Were we get the most special requests is wings, where they want 20 1/2 one flavor and 1/2 another, we just say there is an extra charge and they basically pay for 2 10’s. We won’t mix wings sauces, but we offer a suggestion that they can have them mixed in one flavor and the other sauce on the side and they can mix them themselves. and we will not bake wings ( I can make them extra saucey and you can throw them in your oven when you get them). so if we are unable to do the special requests we do try to offer suggestions so they can get the food the way they want it.
If I do get lots of requests for certain things I try to figure out a way to put it on the menu—we have a wing sauce because of requests to mix flavors.
A sampler platter I never put on the menu because of the “I want more of this and less of this” nightmare. but the idea listed above where you make your own may be a possibility :slight_smile: .

Yes we charge for extras! even if they get them after they order our biggest request is sides of ranch they fly out the door I simply say they are $.50/each how many would you like. Split flavor on an order of wings we can do that but its going to come in the same container. Usually dont have a problem but we let them know up front how it will come. Why dont you keep some of this stuff in your prep table so you dont have to run back and forth.

in my area the 2 busiest indi pizza places( both doing 35+k a week) have the worst customer service!!