"Specials" bending????

We let them pile the toppings on one or both pizzas. I think the chains get caught up in that stuff and forget the purpose of the coupon was to get them to call not tick them off and make things complicated.

We do have suggestive selling contests but never would I give 20 bucks. We give food and they have to sell at least five. Usually an appetizer they were striving to sell. I don’t care if they automatically ordered the item…my purpose is to get them running to the phone.
And it works.

We sometimes do teams front of the house against the back and then they would win a large pizza or something. It is great for building teamwork.

Kris

Wow…hmmm…

I dunno if PJ is considered 1 of the top 3 that you guys/gals always talk about…but even if it isn’t…

Folks in my area seem to consider cheese a topping. I’ve never had this issue come up.

But now that I’ve been doing all the calls during the day (it’s just me and a driver for my day shifts), any time someone mentions a special like that and I say “what topping would you like on your pizza?” they seem shocked that it can be cheese PLUS a topping.

Being I obviously offer an “additional” topping to the cheese, if I was asked this during my shift, I would have no problem saying sure…because it’s just as “sneaky” as the good 'ol “half sausage, half pepperoni” sneak to get out of buying 2 seperate pizzas, and no one balks at that request, or at least they don’t seem to.

I agree, good will is worth more than the measly $1.50.

I thought that is what the majority would say. I have been letting them have whatever they want…provided they pay for it. I had the topic come up from one of my employees. I do seem to recall reading a thread similar to this one and there being more divided opinions…I don’t balk if they wanna spend more. In the famous words of the Wayans brothers…Mo’ Money, Mo’ Money, Mo’ Money!!! Homie does play dat!

is it just me or is something fundamentally wrong in that statement, i don’t ever want to have customers see someone in checks/chef pant/or any cooks garb cleaning the restroom.

sheb

edited for spelling

im with you on that one…
i do not ever want a cooks hands in the toilet

Maybe you have a good motivational technique, but I think most people are more responsive to “extra” financial gains. If it were me, I would do what was asked but somehow the enthusiasm and effort would be greater if I knew I was getting a commission on each sell. Its just human nature – no different from lab rats, lol.

I’ve been thinking about implementing some kind of contest/reward system. First I would evaluate what is normally sold so there is a threshold they have to sell above. Say the winner of the month gets $100. If I only got ten extra ten orders a day at $6 a shot, that’s $1800 extra a month! Weekly tallys could be posted for motivational purposes and keep them focused. Or, maybe the bonus is an incremental total based on what they sell – meaning getting orders of extra cheese would count as well.

Or, maybe top three get bonuses to keep more people involved in the process.

For us, it is about defining the behavior we want ti increase in our staff (upselling items). If we can get that to happen by saying “please”, then good for us. We find that enlightened motivation incentives offer greater repetition of the desired behavior. If we offer, like pizzapirate, a small monetary prize, and get $1800 return on a $100 investment . . . then I would be close to a moron (or WA Dave) not to keep doing the same sort of structure. I really do not care what the hourly wage is that I pay if I can get that sort of return on a motivational investment!

[size=2](nothin’ but love, Cazy Dave)[/size]

Hey Nick I’ve been missing your subtle digs at me. Thought all my jibes about you being a past the use by date hippy laid you low for a while.

Glad to see you’re back having a laugh at my expense :stuck_out_tongue: Just give me the right avenue to get back at you. :lol:

Dave

I was referring to the end of night cleaning when we’re closed. When we’re open my cooks are usually… well, cooking.

It’s not that you can’t get an ROI on it, and it’s not that I’m being cheap. I’m afraid of building a culture where I have to pay extra for my employees to do anything. “Want me to mop the floor properly? Maybe if I got an extra $20.00.”

I recently had an employee that thought he deserved a large raise because he was always going “above and beyond.” I asked him what types of things he did that were above and beyond and the first thing he said was “well, I’m never late for work.” That’s not above and beyond, it’s the expectation when you have job.

I don’t think I should have to pay extra for employees to do a good job and have pride in their work.

Whether or not we “bend” a special or coupon depends on what the offer is.

Sure people can add toppings to our 1 or 2 item specials.

But if the offer is on a specific pizza, especially introductory pizzas or those we have to keep extra inventory for and someone wants to change it up and still get the offer…not so much.

Although we try find an acceptable compromise. Like a similar coupon or offer.