spiral mixers

there is some talk that spiral mixers make better dough.

anyone out there use a spiral mixer and any thoughts one how it compares to planetary mixers ?

the following is a comment on spiral mixers and details on a specific one

http://ameagle.biz/products/Mixers/Amer … r_1220.pdf

Otis

We have a couple of concepts. One is pizza and the other is bagels. We have a couple of spiral mixers for bagels and they are terrific. The machine seems to work easier and we believe this results in fewer repairs. Have not used them for pizza dough but I would think the same principles apply. One of our machines is a 200# Moline. Has been a great machine for 13 years. The only problem is that Moline sold this line of their equipment to another company who could care less about anything except sales of new machines. Our second machine is a 150# Hobart. Pretty good machine but not as good as the Moline.

With regard to use for pizza I would think that the planetary mixers are more versatile and useful than spirals in a pizza operation.
The footprint of a spiral seems to be larger than a planetary as well.

Just my two cents worth. Maybe five cents given inflation.

I believe you can make much smaller percentages of dough in a spiral than a planetary as well. For instance, if your max capacity is 50 pounds of flour, you can drop that down to about 1/3 (I think) and still get good mixing out of a planetary. You can go much lower in a spiral.

The main differences are in the power required to drive the agitator. The spiral requires much less power than the same size planetary mixer. Snowman is right about being able to mix smaller size doughs in the spiral mixer. Spiral mixers will typically mix a dough as small as 25% of the stated mixer capacity where a planetary mixer can’t mix a dough much smaller than about 40% of the stated capacits as doughs any smaller will just wrap arouind the hook and go for a ride without developing. Some times this can be overcome by mixing the smaller doughs at high speed (this is OK for a 3 or 4 speed mixer, but you’re out of luck with a two speed mixer). You can get spiral mixers all the way up to 300Kg capacity with 100 pound to 200 pound capacity pretty common, but with planetary mixers, you kind of stop at the 80-quart size (50-pounds of flour) unless you happen to have access to Hobart V-1401 (140-quart mixer) and even this one is limited to about 100-pounds of flour weight. After that, you’re looking at an AMF 340 quart Glenn Mixer, This behemoth stands about 10-feet tall and will mix about 200-pounds of flour at a time (it is really better suited to mixing cake batters, a lot of it at one time). Then add to this the fact that most spiral mixers don’t have any provision for an attachment hub, or for using a flat beater which is used for mixing sauce, so the spiral mixer is limited pretty well to just one task, mixing dough.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

thanks for that information…

I plan to stop using the barrel mixer that I have.
Main reason is that it does not have a removable bowl and is harder to clean well.
Also, I have to measure the water and flour separately and add to the mixing “resevoir” instead of placing the bowl on a scale and measuring in the flour and water.
Looks like the spiral mixer will work for me. I do not use the hub attachments.

What are some good brands of spiral mixers ?
I need around a 40 Quart that will mix 24 pounds of flour, about 40 pound batch of dough at a time.

…any experience with the American Eagle on link below ?
http://ameagle.biz/products/Mixers/Amer … r_1220.pdf

Otis

Hi Otis:

Most all of our Pizza Clients use Hobart planetary Mixers.

When we had a Bakery division Most bakers preferred spiral mixers but as Hobarts were much less costly used they mostly purchaser the used Hobarts.

I think the spirals would do a much better job, but again I depend on my clients opinions.

George Mills

eventhough spiral mixers seem to have advantages on quality mixing,
another disadvantage is that the stationary bowls are more difficult to clean, load and measure ingredients, and manage the dough from the mixer to the dividing table.
I have not been able to find a spiral mixer under 100 quarts with a removable bowl.
That makes the planetary mixers more attractive. For practicality, they are hard to beat.

…anybody out there now of a 40 quart spiral mixer with a removable bowl, please let me know.
Otis

Otis;
CMC makes a good one that has a 50# flour capacity. CMC/ Champion Machinery Company is located in Joliet, Illinois. They can be reached at 815-726-4337 or you can e-mail
Ed fay at <efay@cmc-america.com. Their web site is <www.cmc-america.com>. Aside from CMC, I have looked at al of the spiral mixers sold here and I haven’t found a bad one yet, just be sure to get one that has a U.S. support office, otherwise you might end up having to order any possible repair parts from who knows where.
Tom Lehmann/TDD

I own a Moline mixer and it never broke and I bet it lasts longer than all of us on this site. lol
BTW, I Would sell it if I get a decent offer as at this time I have the place closed while I am in Afghanistan. Not sure if I am going to sell all my stuff or rent the place out (I own the building).
Anybody interested can email me for more info. hollywooddez@gmail.com

I bought a place a year ago that had a low-budget “Imapasti” brand spiral mixer, and a “Globe” 20qt planetary mixer onsite already,
I was apprehensive about both of the mixers from not ever using a spiral, and knowing the shortcomings of the budget model planetary that were here.
Plus, Impasti is no longer around, so I’m worried this thing may die on me with nobody to service it and no parts available.

For making dough, I do not ever plan on using a Planetary mixer ever again. But you are limited to dough only with a spiral mixer.
This piece of junk globe mixer has problems mixing dry ingredients or using the grinder attachment without popping it’s overload breaker. and the safety interlocks are a pain in my arse too.

If I had some extra coin laying around, I’d be using a large VCM for everything from making dough, grinding sausage, dicing cheese, and mixing sauces.