Sub Rolls

we currently make our own dough, we buy frozen sub rolls-proof them-then bake them. was wondering if anyone had a recipe sub rolls they could share.

we use the Lehmann hoagie roll recipe from the recipe section on this site.

Dough Boy;
Just go to the “RECIPE” BANK to find the complete formula and procedure for making the sub rolls. One of the best places to go to fins a multitude of different formulas and recipes for many different types of products. If you should want to search for a pizza dough formula, be sure to type in just the word “DOUGH” as your search word. If you type in “PIZZA” or “PIZZA DOUGH” you will get different types of pizzas as a reward for your search.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

I havent started yet, but close… I saw the frozen sub rolls on a food distributor site in ohio (sysco) well I was wondering how good where they?

That is my biggest fear is the sub rolls. I didnt want to get into making 100% from scratch and I saw some of these frozen ones that you bake. I didnt want to go with something like a fresh orlando type sub roll…

Whats your opinion on theses frozen ones?

There are frozen, fully baked, and frozen, par-baked sub rolls. The par-baked ones need to be finished in your oven before using. They’re an OK alternative to fresh baked. Another option is to see if there is a local retail bakery near you that can produce the sub rolls for you. This will give you the best flavored roll, without the need to slack-out, but they will not be as good on the second day, so you would need to purchase fresh on a daily basis. The frozen par-baked rolls can be used over a period of several days, and work well if you plan to use the fresh, possibly still warm, rolls to make sandwiches with, or if you plan to make oven baked sandwiches you can go with either fresh baked, frozen fresh baked, or frozen par-baked rolls as the warming of the bun in the oven during heating of the sandwich, will do an excellent job of refreshinging the buns.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

We went with an 8" hoagie roll from Vie De France (they call it their “Milano” roll). It’s used as our sub/hoagie roll, Italian beef and as our garlic bread for our entrees. It’s par-baked then frozen at the bakery/factory. We simply store them in our walk-in, remove what we need, pop them on parchment paper on a full sheet then run them through our oven one trip (465 degrees for about 5 minutes or so) to finish them off.

We were set on baking our own rolls when we were getting ready to open but opted for these (.34 cents each) b/c they offered us ease, consistency of size and shape, a great taste and appearance, and hold up to as much “juice” as we dare load onto our Italian beef sandwiches without sogging down! I highly recommend getting a sample to look at.