Subs with my own dough

I am right now using 8" sub buns from sofo foods and I am paying about .50 each… I figure that I could use my small dough balls to make sub buns… however I am not sure how to do it… If there is someone one here that uses there dough for subs I would really apreciate some input on how to start doing it. Thanks

i wouldnt use your pizza dough for sub rolls. typically, pizza dough has a lot less yeast in it than a baguette or ciabatta. if you prep these and keep them in fridge, there wont be enough yeast activity for a good rise the next day.

i make a totally different sourdough baguette dough for my subs. we make a batch of 18 baguettes every day to other day and retard in fridge at least a day(more flavor and better crumb). proof on top of oven to wake them back up, slash and bake. people flip out over fresh bread, especially if you make it in house. i even have a pretty good number of customers that come in just to buy the whole fresh loaves.

cost wise, it takes more time (obviously) and im not sure if you can beat a wholesale bakery pricewise, but i can tell you that customers will really appreciate well made fresh bread. we have these big beautiful deck ovens, why not?

ill post my baguette recipie if anyone is interested. its a very consistent, flavorful bread. if you haven’t shaped bread before it can be a little tricky, but with practice, you’ll get it

I would love the recipe!!! we’re trying to get a local bakery to make ours but the first batch was way to heavy and bready and I’m thinking there prices are going to be way to high. thanks!!!

I would like to try your recipe also.

I use a french bread dough that comes frozen. Thaw it out, shape it, proof it, then bake it. It works out to about .17 for each 8" bun. They taste great and I sell about 300 a week average. I have been selling them for 21 years. I have never had a bad experience with the dough and it is always consistant.

in days gone by, I used my pie dough 2 make sub rolls…was happy with quality/taste, but it will be a “heavy” roll & will take 4ever 2 proof…if you have some molds, give it a try…may take 4-6 hrs 2 proof @ room temp…I’ve recently used same dough 2 make a foccacia style bun…used small alum tins proofed on top of the oven…

Tom Lehmann, the Dough Doctor himself, has a great “Sub Grinder Hoagie” recipe on this site at http://www.pmq.com/recipe/view_recipe.php?id=108

I have had great results with it at home, but have not tried to implement it on a commercial scale.

And I too would like to see zaslice’s recipe.

okay, there are a couple of ways to do this so whatever works best for your shop, run with it. any of the MOP’s work with great results. NOTE: keeping a mother can be a pain in the the rear. refreshing it every morning and feeding at the same time each night. and if someone forgets to feed it at night, its watery, and you might not have enough to make dough for the next day. it can turn into a real nightmare(belive me) so if you are not making bread today FOR today, i would either make a preferment, or mix it straight and give it a day or two in the walk-in. three days is pushing it. all yeast is dry active.

Baguette w/ white starter Y:8 1# loaves

0-8 oz. white starter(mother)
0-1 oz yeast
3-0# water
4-8# hi gluten (might need a extra ounce or two depending on starter)
0-1.75oz salt

add mother, water/yeast, flour, salt
mix until developed
proof in sprayed bus tub, cover and put in warm place until doubled
portion 1#
benchrest, floured and covered w/ plastic for about 10 min, shape

i use a book fold, which is, flatten dough out (dont press all the gas out) to a square-ish shape, grab top edge and bring to center of dough and press in along the top edge of dough, turn dough 180* and repeat. then bring top half over the two seams, and seal with the back of hand. (make sure the seal is nice, otherwise it will blow out). set aside to relax.

proceed with the rest of the loaves. now you should have 8 batard size loaves, from here stretch to length of full sheet tray. we put ours on parchment sprayed liberally, 3 to a tray. once you finish a tray, spray the tops with pan spray, plastic on top, date/time, and put in cooler.

the next day, proof on top of oven until doubled. peel plastic off, four slashes, 425* until done. we cook ours about 90-95% done because the bread can get too crispy for some people. traditional french baguettes are very crispy, but this doesnt translate well to a sub roll so under cook just a touch. also, we lightly flour the tops of our dough because the dough will be slightly sticky, and the knife will pull on the dough instead of slice it. looks a little more rustic as well. we use a very sharp serrated knife for this.

and here is the recipie that i use in my shop. i dont want to have the headache of tending to “mother” so i use a straight dough method with plenty of time in the fridge to develop flavor. its not quite as sour as a dough using a mother, but a darn fine bread nonetheless. i bumped the yeast up a little in order to hold for two days in the cooler. ive baked them after three and they worked, much more than that i think you might be pressing your luck

Baguette straight: Y: 16 1#loaves

6-8# water
0-3oz yeast
9-10# hi gluten
0-3oz salt

same MOP as above, but when doing 16 at a time, only preshape about 8 at time, keep the other eight portioned waiting for you.

sponge method: from straight dough formula take 8 oz of water and 1/2 oz yeast dissolved. mix in by hand 8 oz hi gluten until fully saturated (no dry flour). put in a 12 qt cambro, cover and leave out overnight. do this about 10pm. next morning put sponge in bowl, add remaining water with remaining yeast, remaining flour and salt. mix accordingly. again, this takes a bit of forethought, and sometimes i cant remember what i did yesterday!

good luck! let me know how it works

I’ve got an entire article written on this very topic.
You will need to search it out in the archives.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Who ever told you that pizza dough does not make good sub rolls, was SMOKING ROCKS!!!

we make them every day and they are awesome.

We just cut them into 8oz dough balls. Flatten them, shape them like a pigs uterus ( not joking) and roll them up from the skinny end to the wide end and tuck and roll the ends

Then oil and flour a hotel pan. oil and cut the hoagies, then let them rise for 6 hours at room temp, and cook them at 350 for 22 mintues

there great

Give it a shot

Just be careful if you only have an air impingement oven. The air flow will probably be all wrong, and the baked rolls may be too high for the oven aperature…Bummer!
Other than that, the only real difference between a hoagie and a pizza dough formula is that the hoagie bun formula has about three to four times as much yeast (makes for a much shorter proofing/rise) time, and there is also more fat in the hoagie dough, typically to the tune of about 4%, or mayby two to three times that normally found in a pizza dough. But, that all said, yes, you can certainly make a hoagie bun using a pizza dough formula and a deck or rotating shelf (reel) type oven.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor