Thank you

I have been a long time lurker here. I’m getting ready to shut down my jewelry kiosk, here in a mall outside of Boston, and will be starting a new venture after 14 years here.

A pizza/sub restaurant will be in my future. The wife and I will be taking the month of Jan off for a vacation. When I come back my plan is to get a j j j j job (that was hard to say) at a place and work it. I’m realistic and know that it will be a good 6 months to a year before I own my own place.

I read here that some of you talk about a “system” implemented in your store. What is meant by that? My preference is to get started in a privateer store. The Dominos around here only hire certain “nationalities” to work their stores. Illegal as it is…thats what I was told. Oh well, Their loss.

I’ve learned alot thru reading all the archives and all the posts to the Think Tank. I just wanted to say thank you to all those who contribute to the wealth of information on this site.

Chas

Charlie,

I actually grew up in the Domino’s “system” in the beginning stages of my career in the pizza biz. When I refer to a “system”, I mean standards that are set in place and have become the businesses “culture”. Good systems are only started and carried out by good operators. I was lucky to work for RPM Pizza, Domino’s Pizzas largest franchisee for the first 5 years of my pizza career. I followed that by working for a 3-store franchisee who happened to be the former Vice President of Domino’s Pizza International for the next 3 years. So I have nothing but good things to say about the systems put in place by that corporation. Sorry to hear the hiring “standards” in the Massachusetts area are, shall we say, lacking.

Have you tried Papa John’s? If you’re not interested in them, I know Jim Foxx has a few stores out there on the east coast. Get on with him and he’ll show you everything you need to know. Hope this helps. -J_r0kk

j_rock,

You always have something to add to almost every post. Its people like you that make this site great. I’ve learned alot from your posts.

Honestly, I’m scared sh*tless about starting a new “carreer” at 41. But things are beyond my control here at the mall and its time to leave.

There are alot of places for sale in the area and I’m hoping to work at one of them. I feel kinda sneaky about working at a place to learn about it…only to buy it or leave and open on my own. Its just not in my nature to do something like that…My honesty usually ends up screwing me in the end…but I sleep better knowing I try to do the right thing.

Thnx,

Chas

Chas,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with working at a shop before you buy it! In fact, many “good deals” involve the old owners working with the new guy for a couple weeks, even a couple months.

Go a few towns away if you just want to learn the business. I agree with you that working somewhere and then opening as a competitor is slimy. As long as you’re honest from the get-go, you shouldn’t have any problems. You can even offer to sign a non-compete.