THE ECONOMY: How are you surviving?

Be a part of an article we’re compiling for our March issue!

The focus will be tips to surviving a slow economy, with pizzeria operators and industry experts weighing in on the best ways to survive an economic slump.

What tips can you share with fellow pizzeria operators to help us all keep the industry moving forward?
What actions have you already taken to offset slower sales?
What is working for you?

Please send your ideas/comments/rants to liz@pmq.com before Monday, January 26 to be included.

Thanks!
Liz Barrett, editor-in-chief
PMQ’s Pizza Magazine
www.pmq.com

talk to Gregster - he’s an expert on tips and what you can and can’t share!!

Oh my, me bad!

That is some funny sheet!!!

I just posted several items that address just this issue over in PMQ Think Tank 2.0 blog. http://www.pmq.com/tt2/blog/main/

Funny? Liz actually invited me to write an article for the magazine. Perhaps it was due to your suggestions here.

Thanks for the recommendation and helping to ‘get my foot in the door’ so to speak! You guys are awesome!

good for you! I somehow doubt it was from my recommendation though!

Jeff,
Thanks for the articles on the blog. I have been doing this for 11 years and I can still learn new things.
Thats why I come to this site. I will not let this recession run my pizzeria.Thanks Bryan

I’m so new to this business that my opinion probably isn’t all that valid, but I believe the independents (which seems to be pretty much everyone here) are facing opportunity, not failure. I don’t have corporate offices, middle and upper management, marketing teams, etc. that have to be paid for.

When I recently lost a driver to the Marine Corps., I decided I would take his couple shifts a week, make a few extra bucks for my family and focus on amazing service to the deliveries I had. I won’t do it for long, but my point is that I have the agility in a economic climate like this to, not only survive, but steal market shares from my competitors who are focused on shareholders and not pizza. I believe agility is the name of game right now.

I believe the independents (which seems to be pretty much everyone here) are facing opportunity, not failure

Indie, couldn’t agree with you more. This recession is definitely an opportunity for the independents to use their creativity and get new customers through the door.

Thanks!
Liz

One of the benefits of being an indy in this economy is you can change your course at a moments notice. The big corporate machines are not as flexible. I do not have to report to a board of directors to decide to add or drop a produce from my menu or change my price structure.

The option for the independents is to compete against chains like Applebees(ick), 99, Chilis, etc. Think outside the box is the key. Consider this: At my company last Firday we ordered three subs, small roni, two sodas and a plate for 40.11. At the 99 we got a sampler, onion soup, chicken alfredo and two spicy chicken sides for a few dollars more. The independent needs to compete with quality/variety and the shops around us simply are not doing it. The delivery is not worth the variety/quality anymore.

PD

PD

The trend of “laddering” will work in our favor is we sieze the opportunity. Many families who used to go out to eat, who used to eat at mid-scale places (applebees, chili’s, etc), or used to dine at still higher end, will be moving down the ladder rather than cutting off completely. Those who were regular pizza folks will probably ladder down to PJ/DP/PH or eat less often. Those moving ‘down the ladder’ ae low hanging fruit for those who will put together creative and varied family value packages and marketing targeted toward spending locally, and maximizing time with the family.

Additionally, corporate/business interests will be looking for value and added service that we are poised to provide. Franshisees and bigger pizza companies may be less flaxible in resources and initiative to pounce on the opportunities. I identify the quality target, mobilize your resources, and take the initiative.

One example COULD be local little league sponsorships, limited donations to community groups, and/or some sort of programming specially for kids. Think ‘birthday club’, or educational field trips, or competition to sponsor. Heck, getting involved in your local chamber of commerce is a possible key in smaller counties . . . we are loyal bunch of folks who patronize fellow chamber members first.

This is something I’m going to try to get more involved in during the next couple months. Networking has never been my strength, but I know in times like this, people prefer to buy something from their neighbor more than the big companies that most of us perceive to be the problem with the economy in the first place.