The Pizza You Make and Sell

Are they your ideal of what pizza is,should taste like,or did you make the pizza you think the masses wanted in your area?Or was it a combo of both?

I am new here,and have been lurking a long time,reading alot of GOOD stuff here.Learned alot and still alot more to learn!

Always wanted to know how alot of you came to the conclusion that what dough,sauce,and cheese you chose to use,made you say ,“that is what I want to make and sell!”.

Thanks for any insight.
:slight_smile:

I guess it depends on if you are in the business of making and selling pizza, or in the business of making pizza for yourself.

Hopefully, anyone in the business of selling pizza is making what they think their target customer wants.

Bottom line, I’m in business to make money. I don’t care if my pizza is the “best” or not. I care more about selling the most…

Thanks for the reply…I was not asking if someone thought their pizza was the best,but your reply sounds like you may not care how it taste or comes out,as long as it “sells” and the customer eats it up.Is that correct?Nothing wrong with that from a business profiting perspective,just wanted to find out more from the folks here.

Alot of folks chooses to use a certain dough formula,a certain sauce and cheese supplier and etc.
I’m sure they tasted(eat) their foods they sell and felt it was a winner and possibly took a chance?

I mean,we all know that the chain pizza sells,and it isn’t the best pizza out there…so why not just clone that stuff and sell it instead or open a franchise chain? See what I’m getting at?

I just pop a digiorno(sp?) in the oven every time a customer calls… I knew that was my pizza the first time I tasted it
:slight_smile:

Funny Topic.
If you are asking because you want to be successful than here is your answer:
See what the most successful independent pizzeria is selling and sell that. But MAKE SURE YOU MAKE IT BETTER THAN THEY DO AND HAVE A BETTER MARKETING PLAN THAN THEY DO.

Lots of prospective responses:

1. All should strive to offer what their clientele enjoy—if they enjoy it, they will be long-term customers.

2. The chains sell more because of their powerful advertising and marketing prowess, and possibly afford that cost through the lower food costs associated with bulk buying.

3. If you like your pizza, then it’s likely that the public will too, but don’t just assume that yours is the best palate on the planet.

4. There is some value to the concept that better ingredients (more costly) produce a better end product, but everyone should realize that they are in business principally to produce a profit consistant with a lifestyle that will satisfy your in-laws vision of “satisfactory”. If some customers ask why you don’t include Buffalo Moz., then maybe you can offer it at an additional topping price add-on.

5. Personaly, I believe that whatever we do in life should be compatible with at least a minimal level of pride – if I cant be proud of what I do or produce, then maybe I should consider doing something else or doing it for someone else. Most Indie operators went into this thing because they thought that it was something they could do well, while offering something of value to the community and affording an opportunity to make a decent living. If your gonna spend 10,12,14, or more hours a day striving to reach these ends, then why not provide the best product possible that is consistant with a profitable bottom line. With that, you get the pride as a "value added ".

I’ve been reading the posts on PMQ for only about 9 or 10 months now, but it’s obvious to me that virtually ALL of you try to create products that you have experimented with, tested and price/value analyzed in offering something that is downright tasty, and you offer it with great pride.

Sorry, didn’t mean to take up the whole page.

Thanks for the replies everyone and Piedad.

I’m long winded when posting myself so no worries,gives me something to read and enjoy.

One of my reasons I asked this questions,is not for myself right now,maybe someday,but everytime a new pIzza place opens,and I try them out,I can usually tell after one visit if they will last or not.In my hometown,I have been correct every single time a new place has opened up,I knew would not last a year,they always failed.Some of them were great,nice hard working people,friendly staff and service,but have no idea what they are trying to pass off or sell.

I live out in the midwest and there are not many real mom and pop pizza shops out here.Its all chains or gas stations with imitation frozen pizza.

When I see new places try and fail,its usually because they are making terrible pizza and related foods.Its is sad to see they did not take the time(or maybe they think they did) to ensure a good quality end product they can make,sell and profit nicely from it.

Put me in the best Pizza possible line. If there was anything, (and I mean ANYTHING) that (in my opinion) would make my Pizza better, I’d do it!! Make the best Pizza you can, and charge what you have to…and pray you find enough people that agree with you. Most people don’t realize the difference it makes in the attitudes of your customers AND your employees to realize they are dealing with the best Pizza around.

Being passionate about what you do is important as it will drive you. Decide what your strengths are and build on that. If you are driven by your own creativity, develop your own brand. If you are more driven by the business model, purchase a successful franchise who’s business practices you agree with.

Imo, most anything in between will be inclined to fail. I’m sure most everyone here can tell stories of people who just thought it would be “fun” to open a pizza shop. They go down to Restaurant Depot and buy all the obvious supplies that one needs. They like their pizza and all their friends do too.

Most everyone wants to be able to say they use the “best” ingredients but you have to determine what is reasonable/profitable. Don’t get caught up in pleasing that last 5% of the people who will notice the difference.

With very few remarkable exceptions, however, it all comes down to marketing in the end. You could have the very best pizza in the world, but if you don’t know how to market it right, it won’t make a difference.

Thanks for all the continuing replies everyone.Hope to be able to contribute more here myself some day.Its nice to ask questions and get straight up,honest answers,no matter what side of the coin.
:smiley: