To Bar or not to Bar..that is my ?

I have a 50 seat Dining room and serve beer and wine. We also do del/co. I have the option of possibly adding a 1700 sf of bar space behind my location and would be able to keep the main family dining room seperate from the new space but still joining the opperations. My question is this Has anyone on the boards added a bar to there opperation and does anyone have any idea of what i might expect in the way of increased food business because of the draw of the bar and game area? Some more helpful information. I am in a outer ring suburban community of aprox 24000, I am 1 of three dine in pizza places one is PH. There is a dominoes del/co a little ceasars c/o, papa murphy’s tnb, and 3 other indie’s all del/co. (yeah can you say saturated[/u]). there are 9 bars 7 have food. Only 1 bar w/i 1 mile of me.
what can i roughly expect the full bar to do for me. OH YEAH, we are considered the premier pizza place in town and are priced accordingly, just slightly below the aggregate average of the competition.

total current space 2300 sf rates are good to excellent for area.

any one have a clue?
guesses, thoughts, speculation welcome!

Probable effect of adding a bar? LESS food sold. Not to say that the bar area wouldn’t be an economic success, but I can’t see it helping food sales at all.

Probable effect of adding a bar? LESS food sold. Not to say that the bar area wouldn’t be an economic success, but I can’t see it helping food sales at all.

Wow. That seems pretty harsh. What is your theory here Smeagol?

I will have a 20 seat bar area. In my case, this was driven by a specific demand from my neighbors. I am the only pizza place or bar for almost 4 miles - except my next door neighbor who has a very small, cramped bar with no real tv.

I could certainly understand not putting a bar in a pizza place, but I don’t think it can easily be said that adding a bar will reduce food sales, can it?

A bar means a different customer. How many little league teams do you get in? How much will kids overlap with bar patrons? You ready for bartenders and more dish-washing? I hear that alcohol can add or about 40% of a biz. We’re looking at beer in our next place because current customers ask for it. No one has asked for hard alcohol.

But would’nt that alone imply more customers, especialy if the main dining room and bar are seperated somehow?

Sort of. We’re right next to a blues bar now and I’m surprised by how many ladies (soccer mom types) that hate having to deal with drunks at 10 PM. Well not really.

The drunks come in to so they pick up the after dinner business, but I think we can do better if we focus on people that really come by for our food.

As already hinted at by ‘sliced pie’: A bar customer is not a food customer, and can even run off food customers. It is very easy for the “bar ambience” to spill over into what should be a “family friendly” attitude on the Pizza side.

I would have thought that bar patrons and family dining patron in seperate areas would visit at different times of the evening? 5:30 - 7:30 families 8:30 9 ish - close. I would think that those seperations would just add more opportunity for increased sales. Am i missing your points of view?

What kind of bar might also make an impact. When does the bar open? Do food patrons mind walking by your bar smokers? If it’s an upscale bar it may help more than a dive bar. The dive bar next to us scares off the families and daters some nights depending on who’s playing (band). Each band brings their own crowd and some of these people get a little loose. The bar patrons buy more slices than whole pies, so it makes us look busy after dinner, but we don’t make as much as if we just sold beer on our own to the pizza eaters. We’re too small and we have a deal with the bar…

[/quote]

What kind of bar might also make an impact. When does the bar open? Do food patrons mind walking by your bar smokers? If it’s an upscale bar it may help more than a dive bar.
[/quote]

Thinking sports bar with games pool table, dart boards, Buck hunter, golf 4-5 lg screen tv’s with games going, and we are in a non smoking state. open 11am - 2am

What kind of bar might also make an impact. When does the bar open? Do food patrons mind walking by your bar smokers? If it’s an upscale bar it may help more than a dive bar.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thinking sports bar with games pool table, dart boards, Buck hunter, golf 4-5 lg screen tv’s with games going, and we are in a non smoking state. open 11am - 2am

Decent sports should be able to help a pizza/wings/sandwich place. It has to better than a dive bar…

Good luck