? Tom Lehmann

We have been approached from our supplier about switching flour products with a 13% cost saving ($4.20 per bag).

Both flours are grown and milled here in Western Australia.

The nutrient panel on the back sate the following per 100gm “average serve” . New one listed with current one in ( ).

Energy 1464kJ (1470)
Proyein 11.0g (11.0g)
Fat - total 1.6g (1.2g)
- saturated 0.2g (0.2g)
Carbohydrates 70.1g (70.9g)
- sugars 0.5g (0.1g)
Dietary Fibre 3.2g (not stated)
Sodium 3.7mg (2.0mg)

Would there be any discerning difference in either flour and how it would make up and/or perform?

My food rep said that the flour milling rep said that you would use a bit more water than with the current flour but with a trial bag I used the same amounts and the end result looked and felt similar if not the same.

I trial cooked a couple of pizzas before opening last night and they seemed OK to me. I was off for the night so didn’t see how the rest cooked up but my manager didn’t make any comments so I assume all was OK.

I’m loathe to change for the sake of it but if we can save 13% on costs of flour this adds up to subsantial dollars in a year. If there is no apparent decline in quality then the change would be worth it.

Thanks for any advise on this.

Dave

Dave
What I have done when trying different ingredients is to have a regular customer try the new product and get feed back. I usually ask after the fact so they are not predisposed to looking for something different. I usually call and ask “How was your order tonight?” There have been times when they say there was no difference and times where they hit the nail on the head. My best judges are my family. They will comment about any changes good or bad. I usually get the “Why did you change the (what ever) on your pizza.”

It may be important to note that Dave is using a sourdough leaven in his dough. That could be a sort of cushion to accommodate normal variations that could affect yeasties.

I actually got through to the milling company rep (an ex baker by trade) and asked him about it. Apparently he used to work for the company where I currently get my flour from.

He said there is not much difference between the two and the variations on the nutritional panel are only minor so there would be no real difference. The only thing he said about his was that it is milled quicker than our current one and this leaves “damaged” starches in it. Apparently this means more water may be needed in the mix which equals a bigger yield of finished dough. He said I would need to play with it to get the consistentcy I need.

Daddio, I did try some pizzas on others without them knowing I used a different flour and no comments either way. I tried some as well and couldn’t tell any difference. Maybe Nick is right about the sourdough we add to our mix.

If it works out the same then I can save several $000’s a year which is a real incentive.

Dave

Tom may be able to comment on potential amylase issues. Remember that thread? Ask your flour guy about that maybe.

Dave;
The only way to determine if the new flour will perform suitably for you is to try it out with your dough formula and dough management procedure. If it fits in, use it. It is not uncommon at all for one flour to require a little more or less water than another, the truth is that this happens all the time, even with out regular flour. My suggestion is to say that if a bag or two appears to work well, then go to a pallet, and if that works well over the longer haul, it should be safe to make the change.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Thanks Tom, and the others who chipped in with advise.

I made a 25kg bag up and couldn’t see any difference and also used it across two nights to guage customer response. No comments either way.

I will give the new one a try as a saving of 18% ($5+) per bag is too big a temptation to give up seeing the same results as of our current flour.

Once again thanks to all.

Dave