Used Ovens

Hi All;

I think I found my oven(s) for a small shop I plan to open in Sept. 09. I have the space, 1800 sq. ft., plan to seat about 60, with takeout and delivery. I am in the equipment acquisition phase. I am doing this “on the cheap”; I would love to buy new but, have limited resources. This has meant auctions/liquidations/ads.

This forum for me has been the guiding light for a plethora of questions/situations/etc., a great place with really nice folks.

I would like to use a particular deck oven although I feel that somehow I will end up with 2-4 year old BP Y-602’s, just due to market share. These are fine but, I like another manufacture for the type of pie I would like to produce, I guess.

I found a couple of stacked ones from the preferred manufacture, WoooooT !!!

They were used for about six months in early 2006. Then have sat in a non climate controlled environment since, almost three years. This is in a sub tropical area with water on three sides; I guess a mile or so from the water. I checked out the story with state records on the failed venture along with some collaborating due diligence.

My question is, are the ovens like cars in a way?

Would the oven deteriorate by just sitting in a relatively humid and hot environment for three years not being used? A car might have for example, dry rot tires and hoses, bad gas, spongy tranny.

The ovens list for about 21K new, on internet they are about 11 1/2K new. These folks are asking 7 1/2 for each double. I was going to offer 10K for the two doubles and hope they don’t throw their shoes at me.

I don’t really need two doubles but…

I was going to have a tech and a veteran pizza op check them out with me and try to get them fired up where there are, if that can be done.

Gas-fired deck ovens have only one moving part: the solenoid in their gas valves. Nothing else about their ability to cook should be affected by storage in a humid/non-climate controlled environment. Conveyor ovens (which are my primary stock in trade) are another matter altogether. If the street price for a piece of new equipment is $1000, then an obviously used and unwarrantied piece would be ~ $500 - $650, contingent upon age, condition & availability. Good luck in your new venture…drop a line to tom@theovenguy.com if you have any other questions.

Hey Tommy B;

Thank you for posting, the info is much apprieciated.

TommyB is right on the money with bothcomments. Additionally, I would recommend taking one more precautionary step if you elect to buy the oven(s). In view of where and how the ovens have been stored, before moving the ovens into a secured area (my store) I would place the ovens on a cement pad, cover it with a large sheet of plastic, tape the plastic securly to the cement pad, and then slowly bleed the contents from a 55# bottle of carbon dioxide (available from any industrial gas supplier) into the tented oven by means of a hose attached to the valve. I like to cut a small slit on the top of the plastic where it contacts the top of the oven. This is to allow the air to escape from the enclosure as the carbon dioxide is heavier than the air, it will be forced to the top of the tent and expelled, then tape the slit closed and continue bleeding in the gas just to keep the plastic partially inflated. This will ensure that you have killed anything that might be unknowingly living in the ovens. After 24-hours you can unwrap the ovens and vacuume them out, and you’re set to go. I have seen more infestation problems come about as a result of unwanted guests coming in with used equipment from an unsecured storage area than I care to think about.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Hi Dr.

Great idea!!! and no pesticides.

In fact, a lot of folks here leave here and move back north because, it is too “buggy” for them.

Hi tlab:

The minute the pilot light goes out on a deck oven they began rusting on the inside.

I have seen some that have sat around for an extended period that the exterior paint was about all holding them together.

Take a broom stick and poke the back wall of the oven from the inside you might find that you poke right through.

George Mills

Hi George;

Thank you for the tip. :idea:

That would be a pisser :lol: as well as an eye opener. :shock:

I have to remind myself that if it seems too good to be true, it tends not to be true more often than not.

Hi Tlab:
I hope you find the ovens you are looking at are in good condition.

George Mills

Wow, that would be impressive to see.

Wow, that would be impressive to see.

There is a Mexican place a mile down the road that seats 48 in 1400 sq. ft. But, I have to admit folks are shoehorned in there. I was going to put a few tables outside for those who use tobacco. What is nice about the location is the landlord is a family friend and a nice guy as well. He is helping with the buildout. He is actually promoting building a large deck outside (25 x 30) for more seating. I am waiting to see what happens first with what we have.

Have been using SmartDraw to plan the layout of the buildout.

You will find that once you put even a 12" piza pan on a table, you need a whole lot more real estate than needed for burrito and carnitas crowd. Consider your space and seating carefully. It could be an element taht puts 1st-timers off, or it could be seen as quaint and cozy. hard to say.

Thans Nick;

Maybe 60 is a too much. I have used your place in GA as a model for mine, actually. Same type of market as yours but, about 6 hours south/southeast. paul7979 is in the “big city”, :lol:

George Mills regularly offers to draw up floor plans for new restaurants for the users here. Email him and see if he will help you lay the space out.

[quote=“paul7979”]
George Mills regularly offers to draw up floor plans for new restaurants for the users here. Email him and see if he will help you.

Thanks Paul for pointing out that I offer this service.

My E mail is pizzaovens@aol.com

Thank you, paul7979 and George Mills.

Where are you opening?