VCM to planetary mixer

So my VCM is in the shop getting fixed so I’ve been using a planetary mixer in the meantime. After some trial and error, I still can’t seem to get my dough dialed in perfectly. The 2 problems I’m having are:

1. The dough is bubbling a lot more than usual. I’m having my guys spend a little more time docking, but it’s still bubbling more than before.
  2. I’m getting a little bit of a gum line, which has never been a problem in the past.

I’m using the same exact receipe, just different mixing time, obviously. Maybe I need to modify the recipe? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If starting with the same temperature water and flour, your dough will be much cooler coming out of the planetary mixer than it was the VCM. I don’t know your proofing procedures but I would imagine that they need to change a bit to account for the different finished dough temp.

I had to up the water when we stopped using the vcm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why it’s important to know and monitor your finished dough temperature, if you target the same finished dough temperature and adjust the development so the dough is coming off of the mixer just as it begins to take on a smooth appearance it really doesn’t make much difference which type of mixer you use between planetary, spiral, and vertical cutter mixer (VCM).
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor