Venting a Y-602 Oven

Hi All,

I’m a long time ‘lurker’ on this forum and have enjoyed learning a lot from you all.
I now have an issue I need some help with…

I’m using a Y-602 DSP double stack oven that is direct vented with insulated flue through the building ceiling and roof. I’d like to further reduce the heat in our kitchen and install a hood/canopy over the oven to provide additional ventilation.
Do you all know if i can have both the direct vent and a hood/canopy? Are there any issues in doing this or other factors i need to know about?
Thanks for any advice!

Eric
Wholly Stromboli East Coast Eatery
Colorado

Eric;
Be sure to flag George Mills on your question.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Hi WS

Where are you located that they still allow direct venting or have you been there a long time?

The currant code calls for a hood over any devise that raises the temperature of a product over 220 degrees.If you install a hood you do not also vent the flue gas.

The code also calls for any air removed from the building to be returned to the building by a make up air system.

You have now a dangerous system. Not only are you retaining an unhealthy amount of heat but a flue vent does not remove all the carbon monoxide. If you have been working in this environment for many years. I would suggest you have a physician to check you for signs of carbon dioxide poisoning Just to be safe.

There are several considerations to correct ventilation. If you will contact me via E-mail I will be happy to cover the entire situation based on your particular situation.

George Mills

Sorry forgot to include My E Mail address
pizzaovens@aol.com
George Mills

George,

Years ago, I had found many locations that allowed only the ovens to be vented through the flue in the corner. The thought process was the ovens were designed with low Carbon Monoxide emissions or none exposing the occupants with the flue in use.

Carbon monoxide is ONLY produced when incomplete combustion occurs.

>A yellow, large and unsteady flame.
>An unusual pungent odor when the appliance is operating. This may indicate the creation of aldehydes, a by-product of incomplete combustion.
>Unexplained nausea, drowsiness and flu-like symptoms. 

Gas burns clean, thus is the thought about using propane fork lifts in a building instead of gasoline or diesel fork lifts. What about indoor propane space heaters.

I have been with Tom multiples times conducting shows and have NOT had a hood present while cooking with gas.

The MAIN problem with using gas inside is:

Recent scientific studies strongly link indoor natural gas use to increased asthma and respiratory illness. If you already have environmental illness or asthma, avoiding natural gas use is crucial.Gas combustion generates copious amounts of water vapour contributing to moulds, dust mites, viruses and bacteria, providing a transport mechanism for these and other respirable particulates and volatile organic compounds deep into the lungs and thus into the body.

Hi Marcus

Unexplained nausea, drowsiness and flu-like symptoms.

This was unusually common to pizza operators in the 50’s 60’s Not so much now as not as many flue vented ovens .

Gas burns clean,

I have a good friend who is incapacitated from carbon monoxide poising as a result of a improperly installed flue vent.

Using propane fork lifts in a building instead of gasoline or diesel fork lifts. Conducting shows and have NOT had a hood present while cooking with gas.

Big difference in operating in a warehouse or in a large air
conditioned exhibit hall as compared to a small pizza shop.

What about indoor propane space heaters.

I would never use one.

The point is better safe than run the risk of damaging your health.

Recent scientific studies strongly link indoor natural gas use to increased asthma and respiratory illness. If you already have environmental illness or asthma, avoiding natural gas use is crucial.Gas combustion generates copious amounts of water vapor contributing to moulds, dust mites, viruses and bacteria, providing a transport mechanism for these and other respirable particulates and volatile organic compounds deep into the lungs and thus into the body. Marcus Bramhall

I agree with the above. That’s also why I advise against direct venting.

George Mills