Washable Keyboards

…and computer mice.

I would love to be able to just throw my computer peripherals in the 3-compartment sink to wash, rinse and sanitize them (without destroying them).

http://www.unotrononline.com/

Has anyone used these products (or similar from another company) before and how do they hold up over time?

not sure of that company, but you can buy roll-up, flexible keyboard for less than $35 - should clean much easier

http://www.eforcity.com/dothxxxxkb03.ht … thxxxxkb03

That ugly blue one you linked had no shipping cost associated with it, so I just paid $10.99 to have one sent to me.

I’ll let you guys know how it works out once I get it.

Thanks, Patriot.

That’s cheap. Good deal if it holds up. You can also buy washable skins for your existing keyboards and mice for $10 and up. We get ours from Dell, but there are lots of suppliers online.

I saw new keyboards at Walmart for less than 5.00 a while back…Maybe they are disposable…lol…

I have been using the roll up keyboards for a couple years now. I picked them up at a surplus store for $5 each. I have replaced one so far because of faulty keys.

We use the belkin washable mice haven’t had any problems with them
tried the flexible keyboard and threw it away within a week.
maybe i just got a bad one.

Paul

Word I have from a technical support professional is that their usefulness depends on what you want to use it for. They are weak in word processing application or where you expect the sensitivity of a standard keyboard. These lack the responsiveness of traditional boards and will be disappointing.

In an application as a keyboard for a kitchen monitor with limited actual text typing, this should be a good fit for me. As a POS keyboard or limited use, it could be a satifying tool. But, to date, they are less sensitive and respond more sluggishly than traditional boards, and are not a replacement for typing functionality. the excel in risky environment that pose spill/contamination hazards.

:lol:

Nick, I’ve never considered a keyboard to be a “satisfying tool”.

Maybe I need to expand my horizons?

This just in: you get what you pay for… I’m about to have a cashier revolt over the “suckage” of the new keyboard. You really have to press the keys firmly or they sometimes don’t register. Also, the lack of a number pad is a real annoyance.

Time to order a more standard (washable) one.

I just bought some from a company called wet keys. They are at www.wetkeys.com

I have one with an external mouse and the mouse and keyboard are wireless. I also bought one with the mouse pad and buttons like on a lap top are part of the keyboard. They are a bit pricey, but being wireless and washable, they really take away the wire clutter. I also have a Revention POS that is all in one, so it is very easy to keep everything clean and neat.

The stuff I bought is only a month old and works great so far. The wireless stick that goes into the USB is the size of a thumb drive which is very nice as well.

Hope this helps.

Tony

I missed this post… Tony you are on the right track with the wetkeys products. We have used their items for a very long time in our production areas filled with steam kettles and constant washdowns. They hold up very well and they are extremely reasonably priced. They do have quite a few options and it looks as if their prices have gotten even better than the last time I remember. This would be a great addition to any work area that has constant exposure to dust, liquid spill, and sticky hands.