water heater?

how do you know what size water heater ? does it have to be commercial? the plumber wants to put in a 100 galllon residential.we will have a under counter hobart dishwasher. what do you go by to know what size is correct?any help would be appreciated. thanks

Hi Big Joe:
The hot water heater is determined by a formula that takes into consideration all hot water using units in your shop. the 100 gal unit will not meet the code.

If you will send me a list of all hand sinks including those in rest rooms, janitor sinks, food service sinks list how many bowls and the size of the bowls. Will any food service sinks have pre rinse hoses? Will your your dish washer have a booster heater? If so what size, temp rise, and capacity. Give us the model of your dish washer.

With the above information we will calculate what size heater you will need to meet the code.

George Mills pizzaovens@aol.com

Just curious… we want to utilize a tankless water heater. We will have one unisex bathroom, two handsinks, one mopsink, one vegetable prep sink, and one dishwashing sink. Does the code address tankless heaters?

It depends on how forward thinking your community is. I wanted to put in a tankless Takagi TK1 hot water heater and they said fine but you must also put in an 80 gallon storage tank to collect and store the hot water it makes!!!??? I guess they just don’t understand that tankless heaters just keep making hot water as long as the faucet is open. I even offered to put two of them together so the output of the first fed the input of the second to make sure that there was enough capacity but they still said I would need a storage tank. I just decided to put in a tank type heater since they were going to make me use a storage tank anyway. Oh well, when the tank dies I will try again, or if gas starts really going up in cost. Good luck!

We actually have a little 3 gallon tank heater that will mount next to the tankless heater so that the water should be hot almost instantly.

If they made me put in a big tank and would not listen to reason, I am ornery enough to buy a cheap one, plumb it in, then remove it after the final inspection. (That is why I have a level-headed partner to keep me from doing such rash things.)

thanks george for the help

3 bathroom sinks
1 comp. janitor 20"x16"x12"D
1- 3 bay sink with pre rinse hose 16"x20"x12"D
3- 1 comp 10"x14"10"D
1- 3 comp bar sink 14"x10’x10"D

the hobart was changed i dont have specs.i know its under counter,170 rise,w/booster dont have model#

Dewar’s Pizza Bakery

Hi Charles

Re: water heater?
Just curious… we want to utilize a tank less water heater. We will have one unisex bathroom, two hand sinks, one mop sink, one vegetable prep sink, and one dishwashing sink. Does the code address tank less heaters?_________________
Charles

Gm: " The formula is the same as it determines gallons per hour required.
For most of our clients doing pizza DELCOS the requirement is absurdly high but the code does not differentiate by type of operation.
You Just have to live with it."
George Mills

Hi PIZZAMAGOO

Re: water heater?
It depends on how forward thinking your community is. I wanted to put in a tank less Takagi TK1 hot water heater and they said fine but you must also put in an 80 gallon storage tank to collect and store the hot water it makes!!!??? I guess they just don’t understand that tank less heaters just keep making hot water as long as the faucet is open. I even offered to put two of them together so the output of the first fed the input of the second to make sure that there was enough capacity but they still said I would need a storage tank. I just decided to put in a tank type heater since they were going to make me use a storage tank anyway. Oh well, when the tank dies I will try again, or if gas starts really going up in cost. Good luck

GM : “I never cease to be amazed at what inspectors will come up with. You just have to live with it.”

George Mills

Hi Big Joe:

Here is our calculation for your hot water requirements as per general health department rules. Requirements may vary by jurisdiction but seldom less.The kick in the delicate spot is that they want you to be able to open every hot water spigot fully and be able to maintain the temperatures required at each individual unit for one hour.
No one does that, but it is how the requirements are normally set. I suggest you consult with your local health department.To check our calculation, they may have a higher standard.

Bathroom sinks (3) 5 GPH ea. 15 GPH total @100 Degrees F
3-comp sink…45 GPH 45 GPH total @ 100 " "
Hand sinks (3) …5 GPH ea. 15 GPH total @ 85 " "
Bar sink …20 GPH 20 GPH total @ 85 " "
UC dishwasher…53 GPH 53 GPH total @ 110 " "
158 GPH total

You can use a tank less instant heater or a very large tank or a smaller tank with a high BTU rating.
Your plumbing supplier can work out the cost of each for your consideration.

George Mills

George, if you will hit the http://www.pmq.com/tt/templates/PMQ/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif button instead of the http://www.pmq.com/tt/templates/PMQ/images/lang_english/reply_mini.gif button, your posts will look better.

Our Bosch 2400 does about 300 GPH based on the average water temperature rise for our area. I think we will be okay. The city allows PEX for plumbing so they are pretty progressive and will most likely approve it. We will see in a few weeks.