Weevils in Flour

Well it had to happen some time.
For he first time in 4 years we have 3 bags this week with weevils inside. No sign of outside entry - must have been eggs in the flour and hatched in our current high 30’s - low 40’s heat.
My vendor is replacing them without any problem but it has been a frustration to us.
First one last night but had other bags to use so no problem. Tonight 2 bags infected and none left to make dough - delivery tomorrow afternoon.
Luckily we had some dough left in the cool room and had 1/2 bag from what we use for dusting when rolling so have enough for tomorrow night but no spare if we get slammed.
Luckily my daughter has to gho past the vendor early in the morning when she picks up her freind from the airport so she will pick up a bag os we can make some dough first thing and let it rise in the mixer and use it if we have to that night.
Just a bummer knowing that we keep a spotless shop and storeage area, rotate stock every week, regularly fumigate and only have 2 bags left when our delivery comes in so stock is fresh.
All tainted bags were same batch number so I am getting another brand of flour (used previously so no problem or variances) until we get a guarantee from the mill via the vendor that they have no more tainetd stock.
Anyone else had a problem with weevils?

Dave

No weevils yet in our flour; they do come from the mill where the eggs lay dormant. Very often the flour gets used before a problem . . . unless the eggs are far enough along and you get a heat wave. We had a problem one time with “mill moths”. It’s another ‘come from the mill’ pest. We had 10# flour put into plastic bin, and in two days the moths hatched and were flitting around in the clear bins, borrowing lay new eggs. Got the flour replaced, and alerted the distributor.

We we GLAD that the moths were contained, because they can go on to infest all sorts of stuff. Glad you caught your weevils, too. I had some at the house that took a month to get rid of as they kept appearing in one box or bag after another. We ditched every dry good we had, bought new & put in aitight containers. Now, no weevil or moth problems.

There are essentially three things that can result in this problem. The first is that the entilator (a hammer mill type device) that the flour passes through, who’s sole purpose is to break any insect eggs in the flour was down (not operating) for a portion of the production run. This would result in a high percentage of intact eggs getting into the flour. The next might be a torn sifter screen (a real possibility) that could allow for a greater population, than normal, of live insects (probably confused flour beetles, or cigarette beetles) in the flour. The third is one of old stock flour being shipped to your store. By any chance did you check the production date of the flour on the infested bags of flour? During the winter months, you’re probably safe with flour up to 60-days old, but in the summer you could end up with a problem with any flour approaching 30-days.
It sounds like your people are really on top of things. Anyone opening a bag of flour should always be trained to look at the inside of the bag for those little “grains of pepper”, AKA, flour beetles. You will usually find them in the side wall of the bag, or right at the junction point of the bag and the flour. Once you find a problem, immediately roll the bag closed and secure it tightly closed with tape. The last thing you want is for the critters to get out into your shop. If you use any multi-grain or whole-wheat flour, be sure to look for what appears to be lumpy or clumped flour as this could be a sign of Indian Meal Moths. They form a web in the flour that causes the flour to clump together. As you correctly did, always contact your flour supplier immediately, and if you don’t get a response or satisfaction from them, go directly to the flour manufacturer/miller. Their name will be displayed on the bag.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Thanks Tom.
The stock was fresh (dated best before 10/10/2010)
Our vendor is really good and replaces without any drama. I’m just switching brands for a few weeks just in case there is a problem at the mill.
Your description of how to spot them was totally correct to what we experienced.
To be honest we haven’t been that vigilant in checking the flour previously but we will be from now on, especially myself with my ever reducing clarity of eyesight .

Dave