what are some of the higher quality brands of pizza spices

Is it worth spending more on spices for your sauce? Which ones?

I would think salt, sugar and possibly pepper are not worth it?

Is it worth spending more on oregano and granulated garlic?

What are some of the top brands and Ill see if they carry them in upstate ny where im located.

thanks for the help

Re: what are some of the higher quality brands of pizza spic

From what I know of spices, freshness matters a whole lot more than brand name as far as the flavor goes, and since we’re talking dried garlic and oregano, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Dried spices start to lose flavor after about six months, so as long as you aren’t buying spices that are already dusty, or such a massive supply that it takes longer than six months to deplete it, the brand shouldn’t really matter. Besides, once you finish mixing the herbs into the sauce, their flavor will be so diluted that only most discerning of pallets would be able to taste any difference between brands anyway.

ok great thanks… so what type of situation would a pizzeria \want to invest money into better spices?

Check out Penzey’s spices… They are the best… A little pricier, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

I sent this as a private message to the thread initiator, and am dropping int in here for anyone else who can use it.

I disagree with the idea that spice quality and brand do not matter. I can tell you from my experiences that is DOES make a difference what brand and where you buy spice. I use only three spices in my sauce (oregano, black pepper, granulated roasted garlic), and I use pretty high end mail-order spice that I buy by the pound. The thought that the spice is somehow “dulled” or “muted” in sauce to the point that it makes no difference, is something I personally disagree with. Your taste bude may vary. I do qualitfy my opnion that if you use a bunch of sugar in your sauce, the spice nuances will be over-run.

When I bought my place, the previous owners got their spices at a discount store . . . when I used my preferred spice, the sauce literrally came alive. Test for yourself, and you will taste a difference.

You MUST find a place that rotates their stock very regularly, and has a consistent supplier of quality spice. By the time it is on the shelf, you have zero idea how many months it has been since it left the fields. None. Also no idea of the temperature abuse and/or handling issues. I buy from Frontier Co-Op. I have a wholesale account with them, and buy all sorts of things from them. They have several oregano sources you can choose from, and they all have VERY different flavor finishes. All oregano, but all different. hey also have organic choices, if you wish to use that.

www.frontiercoop.com

I pay a very good wholesale price for a whole POUND of mediterranean oregano that is bright, flavorful, and nitrogen packed in aluminized bags. Sure shipping enters in, but I’ll be you can order enough to overcome their minimum for free shipping. I believe it is like $250 order gets free shipping. I put their spice along with Penzy’s . . . but I get wholesale pricing as I should.

Nick, that is a very good post. When we started this place, I was convinced it did not matter what brand. I though oregano was oregano, and basil was basil. But there ARE reasons why my distributor charges 9 bucks a pound for (cheap) oregano, and penzeys charges something like 20 a pound. My dad literally MADE me go with penzeys b/c its some of the best out there. He did not want to sacrifice taste and quality. And after physically comparing the two, I was hooked and completely convinced that brand/quality does matter. I wouldn’t sacrifice for anything less.

I also agree that you need to find a high quality supplier for you spices, and get them as fresh as you can! All I would add is that I really love fresh ground high quality peppercorns! Get yourself a cheap coffee bean grinder and you can zap it up real fast!

Steve,

the largest size they sell is 8oz? were you able to workout a deal if you bought a large dollar amount of spices at once?

Yes, if you let them know ahead of time, they can give you larger bulk size quantities and pricing. They have two in New York, it may be close to you where you could pick it up and skip the shipping charges if that helps.