What music do you have in store?

I’m trying to figure out what kind of music system to put in my store. I’ve narrowed it down to two options: Satellite radio such as Sirius and the Muzak CD system. I think I’m leaning more towards the Sirius option but am not real sure on equipment needed for it to work with my current cd/radio system. I know with the Muzak CD system all I need to do is plop in their 1000 song cd into my own player and I’m good to go.

Does anyone have any insight on these two options or willing to offer your advice on something else?

Be sure to investigate “licensing”…Not sure how or if it applies in your situation but if you get caught playing music without the proper licence, it can get painful…

People like tv’s. If you get a service like DirectTV, you will have music included.

I have a “blues” music theme in my place with blues handbills and posters on the walls. Some of the sandwiches are named after blues musicians. We play the XM blues station all day. I think it’s around $30/month for the business subscription.

I use DirectTv as well because I don’t have to get a license (already included with DirectTv). I don’t get the Music (XM) stations though, i just put the TV on the Country music channel… i’d say 99% of people in my area listen to county more then anything :roll:

i use internet radio, piped in through my computer in my office to my reciever then out to the dining room. i keep a window open on my desktop. its free and little to no commercials

Just a short note to zaslice.

Keep tucked away in the back of your mind that some day someone may drop in and hand you a bill for a license for playing the music from the internet. While the feed is costing you nothing, there is actually a copyright issue at play that all the other people are working with. One of those services who sell licensing could pop up and demand money as you are using proprietary music for the enhancement and growth of your commercial enterprise. That takes a license to use copyrighted material.

I am not at all casting stones and/or saying you gotta rush out and find someone to give money to . . . . just mentioning that internet music does not avoid the copyright/licensing snag that’s being mentioned here and there.

We download Music from ITunes - Pay for it - and then Play it on an IPOD in the Store.

Is that a copyright issue? Just curious.

Check the licensing agreement at iTunes, or send them an email asking if it is hypothetically allowed under the purchase agreement. Most generally available downloadable music type stuff is intended for private use and enjoyment. It would probably read like that FBI warning on your DVD and VHS movies. Bottom line is that you need to review the agreement or terms of purchase.

Re-sellers and licensees tend to try to get more money from businesses using their materials than from private users. Enjoyment versus increasing our revenues sort of thing. They want a cut of the action, however small that cut may be.

Since Nick seesm to know a little more about licensing than I do, here’s another question.

Is it ok to have our tv tuned into regular cable shows (CNN, ESPN, etc) while open? Or do I need a special license for that as well?

A couple of years back I was contacted by a licensing company that informed me that I was breaking the law and that I was facing a hefty fine. He told me that I was playing songs that are licensed by them and to stop immediately. I told him that I use the radio. He came down to investigate/sell me the rights, and told me I was okay. To play the radio you can’t exceed a certain square footage, have more than a certain number of speakers, or be playing in more than a certain number of rooms at the same time. I don’t know what the numbers are, but I was alright. Either that or he saw that I was a small, family place and that he really couldn’t expect much. I’ll never know.

I play the local radio station they are a family freindly easy listening station so I dont have to worry about content.

The music your crew plays for themselves in the kitchen is no problem as far as licensing goes. If you are a delco with no seating you don’t have to worry about it; there is no “public” being entertained.

If you have seating, you are supposed to have music that is licensed for public performance. This does get checked on from time to time.

The problem I had was with employees choosing the music. I found that it was impossible to enforce a music selection policy and went to the Musak system which we have used now for 4-5 years. I like it a lot. The provide the discs once a month. All your licensing is taken care of and you are in control of what is being played. It costs me $56 per month. Well worth it to not have to walk in there and have some hateful hip hop crap coming out of the speakers and driving off family customers.

Not everyone has to get permission this is from the ASCAP website
Permission for radio and television transmissions in your business is not needed if the performance is by means of public communication of TV or radio transmissions by eating, drinking, retail or certain other establishments of a certain size which use a limited number of speakers or TVs, and if the reception is not further transmitted (for example, from one room to another) from the place in which it is received, and there is no admission charge. Your local ASCAP licensing manager can discuss your needs and advise how ASCAP can help you.