Whats Your Delivery Charge?

drivers do not have a clue…best thing I did was once covid hit and we stopped taking cash for a while…I put all of their tips on their check. I did get a couple guys complain, but I was pleasantly surprised that they all prefer this even when we went back to cash. It makes them appreciate what they actually make instead of blowing it at the bar later that night…

1 Like

Did you deduct a flat fee for credit card processing for them? Or did you just eat it? We are contemplating something like this.

1 Like

I have asked the question to my accountant but never followed up…thanks for the reminder. Did some quick math and that should cover any repairs and equipment every year

$3.85 from guest. Pay $3.00 to driver.

Delivery fee is supposed to represent wear-and-tear to the vehicle plus use of cellphone. In my case, the payment to the driver is taxable, so the difference between the two amounts helps me pay that tax.

Gas is through the roof, so I want to pay the drivers more per run, which means collecting more from the guest. I will probably also raise my fee in 2022.

I visited California last week and Gas in California is over $6 a gallon.

When I arrived back home to NH. We passed the $4 mark $4.35 actually.
I have to raise my delivery fee again. Going to $3.50.

Also is there a way to evenly split the delivery charge amongst a group order? My old system would put the delivery charge on every ticket in the group. My current system only charges the first ticket in the group

We raised our fees in January and now I’m thinking of doing it again.

Foodtec let’s you set fees by delivery area, so the further away a guest is, the more I charge.

OHIO
Today we are increasing from $3.25 to $3.89 for delivery. Raising drivers compensation from $0.58 to $0.68 per mile.

Our delivery charge averages $6.00 and we paying close to $1 a mile now. Gas in my region is at $6.50

we are at $3.95 and will increase to $4.95 when minimum wage goes up another $1 on 7/1/22 to $14. Drivers in my state are NOT considered tipped employees (even if they all average $30+/hr!)

Currently charge $5.99

Our drivers are considered tipped and we pay them tipped min wage while they are on the road.

1 Like

your state has common sense…Dominos took this case to the CT Supreme Court and lost

We could do this, but don’t. How to handle it when drivers forget to log back in to the store/log out on a delivery?

We are $2.50/del. Not sure how you guys are getting 5 or so for it. People bitch when it goes up 50 cents.

1 Like

What are the big 3 at near you? Your other competitors? People are going to bitch no matter what. But why should you be the cheapest delivery option if your margins are getting squeezed?

Some are $1, some are $2. Dominos is 3.99 if I remember correctly, but they aren’t that busy. Direct competition wise, no pizza hut or Papa John’s

About 2 years ago I jumped my del fee from a flat 2 to a variable rate ranging from $4 - $6

My customers are generally the type that bitch about all price increases, it went relatively smooth transitioning. All major pizza joints here charge around $5 for deliveries now.

Ive always liked this idea as it seems to be fair. I hate that I feel bad when someone orders one item, like a sm pepperoni sausage pizza and with delivery fee it comes to $15 before tip. I wish I had a good script to say when they inevitably call back to question why its so expensive.

For the operators that reimburse through mileage, how do you do that?

Does the POS have mapping software that calculates their runs?

Or is it a type of honor system where the driver reports their odometer at shift beginning and end?

I had the same thought, this seems next to impossible to track correctly

We do both. Our drivers log their odometer reading at the beginning and end of their shift. Our POS will also track the deliveries they took and it will give us a mileage reading based on Google maps mileage for their deliveries / trips.