Who decides when to stop deliveries in bad weather?

what do you guys think about delivering on Halloween? we live ina very residential area with tons of kids around. It seems dangerous . I imagine Halloween is a pretty big night for deliveries, too.

This is what I tell my delivery customers on Halloween. We are not quoting delivery times tonight because we want the children to be safe on the roads. Our driver will get to you as quickly and SAFELY as possible. If you would rather come and pick up your order we understand and will be pleased to give you a FREE 2 liter of pop for your efforts.

I like Daddio’s idea.

Halloween is a potentially hairy night. I am SUPER slow when the kids are out. I don’t speed in the first place, but I’m particularly cautious on Halloween. It’s only pizza and I don’t want to hurt someone. I’ve got an 8 year old son, so I tend to be hypersensitive to kids.

My store leaves it to the drivers’ discretion. I know how to drive in snow and ice, so I usually stick it out as long as it’s not a blizzard. Some of our other drivers have 4WD vehicles which helps too. If the weather gets too bad the GM will close shop for the night.

As a manager, I go with my drivers judgement. my drivers safety is more important than making a few bucks. On halloween, we tell our drivers to slow down and be very alert. We tell our customers that deliveries will take a little longer because our drivers are being extra cautious. Usually they are cool with that.

We average 25 to 30 FEET of snow per winter. If we stopped delivering for 6" of snow, we would not be in business since we average than much new snow about every 3 days all winter long.

We have four wheel drive subraru company cars, full snow tires all around and take our time.

The pilot in command has ultimate responsibility for the safety of the flight. He can break laws, say no to bosses or clients, and do whatever is necessary to conclude the flight safely.

Same for drivers IMO.

We live and work in Montana. We pride ourselves on having the best pizza drivers there are. A driver who would not go out in weather, and at least try, would not last long.

My belief is that stopping deliveries is a business decision, and all business decisions are made by management/owners. I would NEVER put that decision in the hands of a general employee. Your mileage may vary, and it should match your business philosophy.

That said, we are extremely cautious about weather and safety of our staff. We are quick to tell customers to expect slow-downs in rain or othr inclement weather, and to stop altogether when conditions look icy or dangerous. Same with customer properties that are treacherous. We protect our staff because they are the core of our success. We will make some tough decisions sometimes about weather that is simply unpleasant, and take some grief. But real dangerous and risk is serious business.

We always and often ask the drives about road conditions, and ask some of our outlying customers how their roads are. We are fortunate the customers are pretty understanding if we say it is too icy to drive out (afterall, they aren’t willing to do it themslves, eh?)