Wings - Again

We’ve pretty much always par-fried our wings (volume operations) and either re-fried & sauced them or sauced & finished in the conveyor…

So, I was a bit bored - seasoned the raw wigs w/a poultry spice, then baked 4x’s thru the MM 360 (6 min @ 460)…chilled/baged…

Then we re-fried/sauced them…

The end product was much more “plump” and seemingly more juicy, while the seasoning added an additional flavor profile and crisper…

They also re-thermed nicely in the MM - so I added a “baked” wing option…

i was planning on trying to parbake them in the deck ovens we have but got rid of them and went to a prebreaded and ready wing again…

Patriot, we used to cook our wings from raw in our ovens. A health inspector for one of our stores told us that if we were to cook ANY raw meat through the ovens we had to put fire suppression INTO the ovens. Another health inspector said she knew of no such rule and we wouldn’t have to change at the stores that were in her area. Just be prepared that your health inspector may have something to say about this. The other downfall is you will need to clean the interior of you oven MUCH more often as the grease will accumulate rapidly.

Clean the oven - what?

ya, that may be an issue…

This county (Seminole) doesn’t require us to have fires suppression nozzles in the oven cavity…Orange county does…go figure…

I think that the fire suppresion comes from thee idea there will be some fat burning off and catching fire, even though its a far cry to happen.
BUT i will tell you if I was cooking raw chicken I would have a world of issues and hoops to jump through

You’d be quite surprised to know how many cruise ships/lines use our style conveyors for a myriad of items - seafood/chicken/steaks…

There are also many land based chains that use 'em for seafood as well…

I cook chicken tenders, wings, brownies, cookies, bulk cheese steak, ground beef topping, sausage links, sub rolls, garlic knots, burger buns, cinnamon rolls, cupcakes, pie crusts… to name a few items…

My old CTX did a mean job on steaks & seafood - infrared temps went to 900

Cooking wings in a conveyor oven is a messy event if you are making them in any quantity. We rebuild Lincolns for a local wing place that does 2000 - 4000Lb of wings a week. These ovens have catch pans on the floor under the ovens to catch the grease running out of them. The controls get so loaded with grease that the ovens need rebuilt every 2 - 3 years. The up side to all of this is that people come from near and far for his wings because they are very unique and have a taste that no deep fryer can match. The owner of this store makes a great living selling wings and beer but I would not put a pizza through his oven.

The health inspector is not the one who has jurisdiction over fire protection it is the Fire Marshall

The building department may also require fire protection but if they do not the Fire Marshall can overrule them and require it.

George Mills

That’s an argument that I just don’t need to have with my health inspector. “Sorry, but despite your instruction that I cannot continue to cook my wings like that, I’m going to keep on cooking them that way. I don’t believe you have the jurisdiction to tell me how I can cook my wings.” Somehow, I just don’t believe that would go over well. Sometimes you need to pick your battles, and to me, this was not a battle I was interested in fighting.