Wings...Lets hear the best ways to cook, sauce,package etc..

I have decided to add wings to the menu due to customers wants. I am getting a fryer.

I need to know the following from those that have the best package put together for wings.

1. Frozen or fresh?
  2. Whole or already cut?
  3. After they are cooked, who has the best method for saucing the wings without making a mess and having dozens of 1 gallon containers with wing sauce that needs washed out(do you have a specific container that you can throw sauce on the wings, close the lid, shake and send?
  4. Anything else for the perfect wings?
  5. how about flavors? how many do you have? Name some.

Thanks,

Re: Wings…Lets hear the best ways to cook, sauce,package e

frozen
cooked 2 times thru oven

add hot or bbq shake and pkg

I run mine through the oven as well… twice. Perdu makes “Jumbo” wings. Man, these things are huge. Order of 8 - $5.99. Cost is about 34 cents per wing so it’s about a 45% food cost, but well worth the extra sales. Frank’s hot sauce, Curly’s Bar-B-Q sauce, or Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce on top when they come out. -J_r0kk

Believe it or not, Pizza Hut has the best wings i’ve ever had. does anyone know how they do it?

Glad to hear you are going to fry! I think frying is the only way to go. There are lots of things to consider about wings that is for sure. I think the best taste comes from fresh wings, and wings of a good size not those pidgeon wings! That being said there are advantages to some of the other wing products like the steamed then frozen wings. With these you have no worries about all that gross chicken blood so they are much safer. I am on the fence as to go fresh or steamed, I think I will just get a case of each and fry them up and figure out which one wins in taste, appearance, ease of use, and of course cost. For saucing we always used a stainless steel bowl and just tossed with the sauce of choice, used tongs to put in a basket instead of dumping to save on sauce use, and out they went. We kept two or three bowls going, one for hot, one for mild, and one for anything else. We would just rinse out the one bowl after each use, the bowls with mild and hot were the main ones used anyway. you can be very creative with the falvors so have fun, but make sure you have the standards like mild, hot, nuclear, bbq, teriyaki (I used a teri glaze because it is much thicker and sticks to the wings much better), garlic parm (just use garlic flavored liquid margarine to toss the wings in to barely coat and then shake parm all over. Yummy!), and another good seller for me was lemon pepper (just enough liquid margarine to barely coat the wings and then sprinkle with lemon peper.)

you have got to be kidin, don’t listen to these bumbs. My buisness sets right outside of d.c. we sale on average 1000 pounds of wings a week. FRY FRY FRY FRY them. When there done put how ever many the order is in a plastic bucket, pour in some sauce, toss with a pair of tongs and call it a day. Baked wings are for rookies and people that we call cake eaters. What kind of icing would you like for your filet mignon. :lol:

Dawg we got 28 flavors on the menu!

28 flavors, wow, do you mind sharing some of those?

Yeah, do you have any chicken flavored chicken ?? Those are my favorite.

We bake our wings and I think they’re really good. Twice through the oven, then put in a plastic container, add sauce, put top on and shake. We use La Nova wings and they are good although the size of the wings can be very inconsistent.

To all you fryers out there… frying does taster better. But at least us rookies will be around to enjoy our cake and iced filet mignon years from now. When people eat fried wings you can almost hear their arteries clogging.

Just so you know frying does not add more grease to the wing. Meat and skin does not soak up extra grease while frying and that is a proven fact, look it up!!! However the butter or whirl used to coat the wings with the sauce on the other hand is where the extra fat comes from. If that is not enough for you, you might want to dip them in blue cheese or ranch.

I think it is safe to say that the best tasting wings are FRIED…period!
We buy fresh jumbo wings, parbake to speed things along and fry to order. Toss n Sauce and done. 8pcs approx 35% food cost