wings

Hi Guys:

I have a client who wants to do wings in 6 minutes. Starting with pre cooked defrosted wings.

My initial suggestion was that he put them through his conveyor oven but he says that takes two passes.

He can get the results he wishes using the Amana combination Microwave/ Convection oven but would like to find a less costly unit or learn how to do them in the conveyor in 6 minutes.

Any suggestions?

George Mills

did he try covering a pan and putting it through the oven?

I don’t do wings this way, but raw chicken tenders are cooked with a little water in the pan and covered tightly with aluminum foil and one pass cooks them completely.

In the past, that’s how it’s worked just fine, and how I’m planning to do it again soon. Depends on the temp and time, obviously, but one pass through a 5 minute or so conveyor at 450 or 475 (don’t remember the exact settings anymore) did just fine. Thawed at least a full day.

We run our IQF wings thru the conveyor for 25 minutes, then we lightly marinate them, and put them in portion bags. When orders come in we sauce them and run them thru again with the pizza order. We sell about 1000lbs of wings a week this way.

David

www.pizzapiratesonline.com

My tyson wings at one store out of state requires 2 pass’s through the oven.

My 2 stores in Texas use LA nova and they only go through 1x.

Tyson has a lot of fat on there wings.

La nova buy’s wing’s from tyson and trim’s the fat off so they cook crispier faster

I use La Nova as well. 6 min on a lloyd pan and they are crispy and meet temp without a problem

One time through with no issues. Our oven time is 7 minutes though. We use huge wings. A dozen averages 24 oz.

@aj453 do you use the lloyd “oven-b-que” Pan and Dimple Disk? If so, do you like them?

Thanks

For those that package their wings for carry out and delivery, how do you do it?

We currently use a round aluminum tin with one of those lids you crimp on top. But the wings steam themselves and have been described as “gummy” by the customers.

Anyone have tricks for keeping their packaged wings from turning to rubber?

We just use the standard lloyd perforated disk pan. The wings dont stick. Works well.
What is the purpose of the bbq underpan?

Lloyd’s offers a pan set specially made for oven roasting wings…I think it’s pretty much their std. disc, with a pan under to catch any drips. At least that’s what I make of it, maybe it allows the air to flow better under the wing and not get “that” spot on them?

btw Adam, how’s your 2nd location going for you?

We run them through on a screen with parchment paper and package them in a hot to-go box with a foil liner.

We package our wings in a rectangular container, put don’t use the lid…it then goes in an 8" pizza box, with celery & dressing…no steaming effect…

For those of you running your wings through a conveyor oven…WARNING…if you do not have a fire suppression system adapted to the oven you may be in violation of fire codes and insurance codes.

Trust me…luckily my friend is my attorney since it would have run me about 4000.00 in legal fees or 30,000 in kitchen changes. Chicken does produce “grease laden vapors” and per the fire code this could spark a fire. They claim that in a deck oven the door can extinguish the fire but a conveyor will not.

Again…heed the warning…this bit me in the butt but we were able to work through it EVEN THOUGH I HAD AND USE FRYERS FOR MY WINGS the mere impression that we serve wings and own a conveyor placed us in violation of fire code.

just be careful.

Steam is a wings worst enemy. Use a foam container that has several steam vents that you can open on the lid. Put the wings in a sheet of foil inside the foam container so they don’t melt the foam.

If you really want a crispy wing :
Fry them.
Put the sauce on the side and let the customer pour or dip the wing in it.