Worker's Comp for Delivery

If your insurer and / or broker is telling something, please get it in writing…In the event of a claim every thing will be under scrutiny and if there are interpretations that are not in writing they may become part of a battle…Unfortunately as a former insurance adjuster I was involved in many claims where the insurer was sued and defended themselves by putting the blame on the broker…

Geez, who said anything of the sort? In fact, it’s just the opposite. “Tipped” wages while “driving”, => minimum wage when not.

Your drivers don’t “return” themselves when they return from a delivery? Every POS I’ve worked with in the past 6 years you “dispatch” youself when you leave, and “return” yourself when you return, making yourself available for additional runs. Thus there is a timestamp of both sides, not at all like you explain it.

Yes, we are stupid and didn’t realize that until you mentioned it. :roll: Don’t tell the Big 3 (and more), because they are under the same misinformation as I am. Papa John’s does split wages because it costs them more - yep!

I have no idea how we’ve gone from 1 to 7 (soon to be 8 ) stores in 5 years.

No, our POS does not require drivers to “return” themselves. When they check out the next run, that takes care of it. I would not be surprised if our POS has the capability. Never went looking for it because I never had a reason.

Yes, on our wage scale, it would cost more to pay kitchen wages between runs than the work comp savings. Our drivers make $6 and cooks make close to double that. So, yes, we would have a minimum wage issue if we declared that they were engaged in non-tipped work between runs and kept the wage at $6. Our work comp on drivers is about 3%. On cooks it is about 1.5%, net result is that they actually cost about the same on a per hour basis. ergo, no savings on the work comp… but a cost of $5-$6 per hour on the wage side.

Perhaps you are in a place where wages are different and therefor have a different math problem.

Nobody called you stupid.

Have a nice day.