Would a GPS solution be feasible for the Pizza biz model

Just curious what you think about the following topic and if something like this was valuable to you as an owner. I am not trying to sell anything, just trying to find an idea for a business model. This is an idea for a GPS related service. Previously cost prohibitive, it is now getting more cost affordable… This probably only makes sense in larger cities, suburban areas… I’d be interested what you think… Maybe it isn’t even an option… but I am curious if it is workable in some cases…

What would you think about a solution that offered for a monthly fee, the following:

GPS enable pagers that could go with each driver. As drivers leave they enter which phone number(s) or ticket number(s) or order number(s) for each customer’s order they have… (This is only a means to tie a pizza going out the door with the driver)

Web plugin or site where customers could track the delivery status (location) of their pizza. (at least indicating
whether or not it has left the building).

Providing this level over a competitor could be a great marketing tool and differator over your competitors…No software on your machine just a web browser. You could embed this on your own site (just simple html code) or use a central website.

Could also be used by managers, phone staff for inbound telephone customer inquiries on pizza. You could look at your browser and tell them there pizza is on the way. based on a series of real, near-real time tracking markers…

Other data available would be average speed driven (you’d know when drivers were speeding putting your business at possible risk). Ability to see which drivers are having problems finding their deliveries (you can replay the routes later)… Average miles driven, you can also graphically overlay where your outstanding orders are… and visually see how they are related to each other so you can best route drivers…

The goal is to keep it very simple… What do you think… Am I crazy here, or is there a need (I realize not everyone would need/want this, but maybe some do) I did something similiar with a cable company, but I am considing doing something similiar with the food industry…

Thoughts?

I wouldn’t want customers to see where their pizza is at. When they’re the last order on a triple and they can see the driver is no where near their house and took a route that was out of the way it’s going to be a complaint.

I can’t see why a customer would want to track their pizza. We tell them 30-45 minutes and they go sit down on the couch or help with homework or go outside. Why do customers want to order a pizza and then stay glued to their computer to watch it’s journey? We’re supposed to make dinner easy for them - place the call and chill out until it gets there.

Why do I need GPS tracking to tell them the pizza is on the way? My POS system already tells me it’s gone. I also know because it’s not sitting on the oven anymore. And the driver isn’t in the store.

I just don’t see a need to cram new technology into everything possible just because it’s available. The current model works pretty well as it is - Customer orders pizza, we make it and then drive it to their house.

I’m with Piper on this one, I don’t think having the customers being able to track the exact route their pizza took to them would be particularly desirable. I can also say that as a driver, that GPS pager would be wrapped in metal mesh and tinfoil every time I left the store, micromanaging is bad enough without big brother following me in my car.

And this would add how much extra expense to a delivery?..Not sure many folks would want to take on any extra expense these days…

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it. I am not trying to cram new technology, just see if it is applicable to the food service business. It works well in the maintenance and service industry… Maybe the delivery time is too short for a pizza… As a pizza customer though… sometimes its nice to know the pizza has even left when its been 15-30 minutes past the estimated delivery time…there is definately no need to sit and wait by a computer… but having that option as a customer would be nice… maybe gps is not the right solution in this case…

Thanks!

Thanks for the comment… In the maintenance and service solution, we found that device rental (gps pager) + service came to about $4 per day per pager.

Yikes! $120 per pager per month! You can use a phone for less than that.

Have to agree with the above posters. I think this would just invite more problems. Customers would call and wonder why the delivery has gone down a different street (they don’t know there’s a 2nd delivery) and maybe it would upset them they are getting theirs second – more complaints and delays.

Costs are prohibitive as well.

Here’s a scenario involving a GPS that I would like to see:

Each driver has a GPS in their car.

When an order is ready to go out the door, the driver goes to the POS Driver Console and checks out his delivery,or deliveries if there is more than one, that they are taking.

The delivery address is then sent to the GPS in his car.

When he gets into his car he selects the delivery that he is taking on the GPS and it then gives him turn by turn directions to the house, estimated time of arrival, ect. (like a normal GPS does).

If someone could come up with this type of technology I would be all aboard.

I looked into some sort of bluetooth solution but nothing.

However, I also figured that it is easy enough to buy a bunch of identical GPS units and the drivers swap them out for each delivery. An expediter in the store can quickly program in the address of each run.

I agree, it would be a slick trick to remotely and automatically program the GPS from the POS.

GPS would be awesome period but I think these would get lost, broken and stolen in no time. Too expensive to replace.

I’m sure its just a matter of time before all cars have a GPS but I would think a driver would want to have one on their own anyway if they are going to be driving for any length of time.

But the longer a driver delivers the less they need GPS. Since I’ve opened I’ve taken about 1,500 deliveries as just a fill-in driver. I usually don’t even need a map anymore - I know just about every street in our delivery zone. Imagine a driver that has taken many times more than that.

After a driver gets that experienced, programming the GPS could become more of a time-waster.

Bad idea for this reason: It allows robbers to set up to know exactly when a driver will arrive at the intended crime scene. “Rob Me” signs will no longer be needed to alert the would be robbers when a driver is coming down the street when the high tech criminal can order money and a GPS with hot food on ‘the side’ and then track the driver to any set up point on the route including the address given. Heck, the thieves need not even make the call themselves! They can have a gullible patsy place an order at their behest, then track it surreptitiously using only their knowledge of the patsy’s phone number.

Might as well invite the thieves to ‘ride along’ with the driver if you allow this.

Driver safety trumps all other good reasons not to do this already stated here. Don’t do it.

True. Like most tools, they should be offered and not mandated. However, with most places there is a substantial turnover of drivers. And programming the GPS takes mere seconds… and insures a driver will not get lost. Out of the dozen drivers where I am moonlighting, only one or two really know the area well. They just have too much turnover.

I think until a driver gets to 1500 deliveries it can save a lot of time. Maybe in a more rural area it would not be so necessary, but in a dense area its very handy. We have a driver that’s been at our location for almost 20 years now and addresses still come up he has not been to. Plus, having a GPS would give an operation a lot of flexibility in sending less seasoning drivers out when needed.