Is this the kind of savings we can expect from Obamacare???
Health Premiums Up $3,000; Obama Vowed $2,500 Cut
By JOHN MERLINE, INVESTOR’S BUSINESS DAILY
Posted 09/24/2012 06:43 PM ET
Email Print License Comment
The experience with state mandates show that they only tend to grow over time, and get more expensive. The Council for Affordable Health Insurance found more than 2,200 state benefit mandates, which add from 10% to 50% to the cost of coverage.
“One of the biggest cost drivers in our health care system is the steady proliferation of federal and state-based coverage mandates,” noted CAHI’s Victoria Craig Bunce.
Meanwhile, ObamaCare’s insurance reforms — guaranteed issue and community rating — will likely raise premiums, too.
States that have tried these reforms — which forbid insurers from denying coverage based on preexisting conditions or charging the sick more — have seen insurance premiums spiral upward as healthy people leave the market, knowing they are guaranteed coverage when they get sick.
“Premium rates tended to increase, sometimes dramatically” in the eight states that tried these reforms, according to a study by Milliman, a health care consulting group.
The law’s backers claim the individual mandate will prevent these rate hikes, because it requires everyone to buy insur ance. But experts say millions will still refuse to buy coverage and pay the fine instead.
Meanwhile, Jonathan Gruber — who helped design ObamaCare — found that the law will hike individual market premiums in three states by as much as 30%. The Congressional Budget Office said ObamaCare would push them “about 10% to 13% higher in 2016.”
Supporters say people will be getting more generous coverage for those higher prices, and that tax subsidies will offset higher cost for many of these families. But that will be small comfort to those forced to pay more.
Perhaps the best evidence that ObamaCare won’t bring costs down is a report published this month in the New England Journal of Medicine and signed by nearly two dozen leading health economists and policy experts — some of whom worked for the Obama administration. The report warns that “health costs remain a major challenge” and calls for a “systematic approach” to get spending under control.
One thing that isn’t on their list of proposals: Scrapping ObamaCare and starting over.
Read More At IBD: http://news.investors.com/092412-626848 … z27pEIbvc7
And as far as Obamacare not affecting small business owners with fewer than 50 employees. On one hand how long does anyone think that standard would hold? These are politicians and that promise would not hold any longer than the promise that the income tax would be temporary and then it would be limited to a certain single digit percentage. On the other hand Obamacare is going to impact this economy so heavily that nobody and no business is going to escape its effects. When you suck as much money out of the people as this law will, everybody and every business will feel it.
Someone on the boards here said we need to get a clue and get informed. Here are a few clues I have discovered.
- A president who has never taken responsibility for anything. It is always the fault of someone else. Maybe the first sign of a poor leader.
- An economy that is still sinking after almost four years despite over a trillion dollars of additional debt EVERY YEAR! Despite two big stimulus efforts with a third one underway. All those shovel ready jobs that somehow did not materialize. But we did grow government significantly. You know, the sector of our society that produces nothing. So now the GNP growth for this year has been downsized from an already abysmal 1.75% to about 1.25%. And U.S. debt has been downgraded again.
- Foreign policy has been ineffective and confused. We have watched the Muslim Brotherhood (Al Qaeda and friends) take over Egypt and about to take over Libya, Syria, Lebanon among others. And we continue to send foreign aid to them along with other assistance. Meanwhile we snub Israel which is the only country strong enough to be a barrier between Islam and Europe and the U.S. and has traditionally been our ally. Kind of looks like we pay our enemies and short circuit our friends.
- We are making large dangerous cuts to our military with more coming. Most experts agree that this is endangering our national security. As in Benghazi?
- I see a president who has appointed a large number of czars who are not accountable to the people or Congress. I see a president who took over private companies with taxpayer money, removed their CEOs and then gave large pieces of the companies to the unions.
- I see a president that is so supposedly concerned about the American people that he has spent 1.4 billion dollars for benefits for his family. Around the world the only comparable figure is the 57 million England spends for the Royal family.
- We have been experiencing a crisis in Benghazi that has embarrassed the U.S. killed American citizens. There was and is an attempt to cover up the ineptitude of the this administration with regard to the crisis. Our president said it was just a bump in the road. I wonder how the families of the Ambassador and the Seals who were killed feel about that? Meanwhile the president is campaigning and going to parties in the middle of it as well as skipping national security meetings.
- We have tremendous oil and gas reserves in this country the development of which could provide thousands of jobs and revenue that would swamp the 16 trillion dollar debt but every effort is made to stop and/or discourage development. Meanwhile we remain dangerously dependent on foreign oil.
- Unemployment remains above 8% IF WE DO NOT COUNT people who have stopped looking for work. Of course they play with the numbers anyway. The real unemployment rate estimates are from 12% and up.
- In 2008 the president said that if he could not turn this around in 3 years then he did not deserve a second term. Not only has he not turned this around, it has gotten worse. Surely at almost 4 years we should have seen some improvement somewhere.
- We are spending ourselves into oblivion by any reasonable analysis and the spending continues to this day. A small example in the big picture of things is the 450 million dollars wants to send to Egypt. Egypt it the Muslim Brotherhood! The Muslim Brotherhood says they must and will wipe the U.S. off the face of the earth. WHY would we send them 450 million dollars? How many people, how many businesses could use that money to get going again?
We are broke and we cannot even pay the interest on the debt so what are we doing here? What is the real plan? Is this incompetence or is it purposeful destruction?
And now the UN wants to tax us and everybody else in the world directly as they announced last week. Now I would think that an American president would stand up and reject this proposal. Since when does the UN have any authority to tax American citizens or prevent us from owning guns as our Constitution allows. Of course some people think that the higher goal is a one world government.
Things are broken and they are not getting fixed. Every year we have been told we are in a recovery. Has not happened. In every recovery in our history the rate of that recovery has been double digit. We are single digit at best. 1.25% GNP growth?
All these clues only lead me to one conclusion…which is an obvious one. In my mind I don’t care who is president but I really care that we get this country going again and there is no sign of it. Our current president has absolutely no business experience and the people he has around him mostly have no business experience. Give me the guy who does have business experience. Give me the guy who has been tremendously successful in business. If we are going to be a country in which almost 50% of the people pay no taxes and draw some kind of government help then we had better get the business side of things in gear or we are cooked. Lets get somebody who has demonstrated this ability already. Get the country going and then lets argue and debate political philosophy. We can no longer kick the can down the street or to the next generation. There are some very, very smart financial people who are warning us that the games have to stop or its over in this country. Some of them have already moved out of the U.S. to protect their assets. GE is moving plants to China. GM has said that they believe their future is in China and is building more facilities there. Now, with this new tax on medical devices, we are going to see those companies moving their facilities overseas. They cannot pay 50% of their earnings in taxes and remain competitive throughout the world so they have to move out of the country.