00 Flour

daisy1

Farina “00” Stagioni… This question is possibly for Tom the dough doctor. What should my water % be, & should I or shouldnt I use sugar. Im testing this flour out and my current recipe I use for my Kyrol flour, we use 445oz water, 3oz yeast, 14oz salt, 10oz sugar, should I change my % on all ingredients ??

Last edited:
We use organic 00 from central milling, 60% hydration, though 20% of flour is prefermented. Also an additional 2.2% salt, 2.5% oil, no sugar- this is all Baker’s percentage btw

I’ve found that the fineness of this type of flour takes more hydration than a typical higher protein flour

Last edited:
We use organic 00 from central milling, 60% hydration.
This is what I got, is it the same as you speak of??
We use organic 00 from central milling, 60% hydration, though 20% of flour is prefermented. Also an additional 2.2% salt, 2.5% oil, no sugar- this is all Baker’s percentage btw

I’ve found that the fineness of this type of flour takes more hydration than a typical higher protein flour

Is this the same you speak of ?? I dont see “organic” on my label
flour.jpg

Last edited:
That’s from a different producer, looks Italian made. Italians are the originator of this type of flour, the Central Milling one is an American flour grown and milled to mimic Italian 00.

I would mix up a small batch with your usual formula and see what you think…it’s typically a very soft flour that hydrates easily and has a lot of extensibility

This flour is used for making Neapolitan pizza, which usually has higher hydration, this combined w the lower protein in the flour creates a very open crumb that this style is known for

Last edited:
I would begin at 65% absorption, that should be pretty close to where you want to be. Your flour is most likely not malted as are many organic flours. That being the case you will find it difficult to get decent crust color unless you are baking at 800F or higher. To address this you have two options, one is to include at least 2% sugar in your dough formula and the other is to include 0.25% 20L diastatic malt powder in the dough formula. Check the ingredient deck on the bag, if it doesn’t
say malted barley flour or enzymes it’s not malted. Additionally, keep in mind that these flours typically do not demonstrate the best fermentation tolerance so plan on keeping your doughs not much more than 24-hours in the cooler. That open porous crumb structure that is so highly spoken of regarding these flours is, to a great extent, due to the high baking temperatures typically used with these flours, there is nothing magic about the flour itself.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back