Continue to Site

3-phase ovens, single phase building

Crusher

I am starting my new location (after 9.5 years I’m finally getting a 2nd store!) It’s in a very small town and I am trying to do it on cheap. I have an extra set of Lincoln 1832’s that are 3-phase. I just found out my building is single phase and it would cost $15,000 to get 3-phase service. My question is can the oven itself me converted somehow or do I need to buy phase converters? Or just bite the bullet and buy a set of gas ovens for this store.

Last edited:
Hi crusher.
I think you would be better off with a set of edge gas ovens. Our clients are having great success with them.
George Mills

Last edited:
Hi George, Edge came out with a lower cost oven at the Pizza Expo, but I do not see it on their website now. Do you know what’s up with that?

Last edited:
That is a Genisis oven.

Apparently this is a version of the edge but with a limited warranty and not the same components that are used in the Edge oven.

George Mills

Last edited:
The Genesis ovens come without the modulating gas valves which is what makes the Edge ovens so efficient. In the long run I would guess that the Edge ovens with the modulating gas valves and 5 year warranty would be cheaper once you add in the expense of gas and repairs.

Last edited:
There is an appliance named The “:Rotary Phase Converter” That will take single and turn it into 3-phase.
My understanding of how it works is think of a generator that runs on electricity instead of gasoline. The single phase powers a motor which in turn spins a 3-phase generator to provifde you with 3-phase.

It is possible that there is a solid-state phase converter available to do this also, so you do not have a whirring generator spinning all the time.

Call a commercial electrician for more info, or call your power provider and ask how much it would cost to have 3-phase installed to your building. I believe 3-phase is charged at a lower usage rate too, so the install may pay for itself over some time.

Now, here’s what we have had happen with 3-phase, if a single phase goes out, the typical home user doesn’t even notice, but if we lose a phase locally, half my stuff doesn’t work. I lose all my refrig compressors, Dish Machine, Lift Pumps, exhaust fan etc etc.
All my 3-phase equipment, and half of my 120 VAC equipment too. So I am forced to pull my main breakers so I do not overheat my lift station pumps and burn those out, so a single phase biz can keep on running, but we are forced to shut down.

Last edited:
Back