?_Ciccone: ROI on Coupons

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

What ROI can I expect on coupons. And how often should they cross the customers desk.

Thank you

Gloria,
That is a pretty broad question. I run 2 types of coupons every month. Direct mail and coupons printed on the bottom of my flier. I usually get a 2% response on my flier coupons and 16-18% on my direct mailers. The d-mails have a better ROI, but without the fliers I am not picking up new customers, so it is really a trade off.
A monthly database mailing sent to all 30-60-90 day customers will give you the best ROI, but those numbers will slowly diminish as you gain less new customers, so one without the other is not such a sound strategy.
What type of coupons were you thinking about?

-Chris

To help me out, you are getting a > 15% return on your d-mail. You are talking about your 30-60-90 mail list – correct?

Do you do any bulk mailing to your delivery area?

fschmidt99:
To help me out, you are getting a > 15% return on your d-mail. You are talking about your 30-60-90 mail list – correct?

Do you do any bulk mailing to your delivery area?
Fsch - I am getting well above 15% on my New-30-60-90 day mailers. The best are the 30 day and 60 day though.

I have done 4 bulk mailers in 5 years to test the market. My first 2 were my menus, a coupon, and a short letter talking about monthly events, like live music. I did them 2 weeks apart. After sending 1,000 each time, my response was 0.2%. I got 4 of the coupons back. Very large negative ROI on that one.

My next 2 were directly out of the BB. Mailed to 2,000 addresses closest to my shop. That one had the BB letter offering free stuff, a full color menu with picures, and a $3 off coupon. There again I got a wopping 3 coupons back. This convinced me that letters were not the way to go at all. All in all: 1,000 letters x 60 cents + flier cost+ cost to stuff: $772 spent for a grand total of $75 in sales.

I really can’t figure out why I had such wildy different results with my direct mail post cards than I did with bulk mail letters. My second mailer even had custom printed envelopes with my logo and “coupons inside” written on them, which is close to my post card design.

Back