Continue to Site

Am I asking too much?

Daddio

Staff member
I have posted help wanted ads on a few places around the city. Every posting reads apply WITH REFERENCES. I have received several applications that may have good potential but they all have “References Available on Request”.

Is my thinking flawed that I have requested the references so they should have been included?

Is this an indication the applicants are not capable of following instructions?

Am I just expecting too much?

Last edited:
You can follow up with a “Our hiring procedures require references. To be considered, you must supply this information if available”

Last edited:
Short Answer. Yes.

Even if they have seen one of your ads, they have most likely forgotten the specifics on that ad by time they get to you and fill out an application. References available upon request is fairly common. You are going to need to follow up, or make it clear on the application that references are being requested at this time.

Last edited:
Yep. You might be asking too much. That statement is kind of ambiguous. Who is to say that they didn’t prepare them ahead of time, and just don’t want that information out there on a job application that anyone could see.

On top of that many perspective employers don’t bother to check them, and everyone knows it. Not that they shouldn’t, but most just don’t. The flip side is that they are only going to provide a reference that says something good. Any company reference shouldn’t say more than confirming that they were employees there. Kind of makes getting a reference moot.

Last edited:
We have it listed on our application to provide 3. Just like other areas of the application if they don’t bother filling it out…I don’t bother calling.

Last edited:
IMHBCO references should be given/exchanged AFTER the 1st interview…

I guard my references/friends/associates & don’t want their name/# out for just any use…

Yes, many employers don’t call/check…and you might loose a valuable employee if you seek references 1st…

But if you aren’t interested in me 1st, then you don’t need any further info from my references…

In this day & age, ALL data is precious & should be exchanged with caution…

Last edited:
When I was last an employer, I never discussed references with a potential new employer…Too many lawyers that are looking for lawsuits if I say something wrong…As far as asking for references from potentially employees…I am sure they will all be “saints” in the eyes of their references…Now if you could talk to the names they did not list you might have a better idea about a person…

Last edited:
I don’t think I’ve ever checked provided references. We’re in a smaller town, so a lot of times if I’m interested in an applicant, I’ll try and find them on facebook and usually can find a mutal friend or current/past employee on their friends list that I can get an unbiased opinion from.

Last edited:
IMO anyone who has a problem with a previous employer/reference isn’t even going to provide details of that job. If they got fired for stealing why would they tell you they worked there if they knew you were going to take a reference?

Whilst I’m in the UK I suspect the legal position about proving ‘bad’ references is going to be similar to to the US. The only info I ever confirm in a reference request is a start date and a leaving date, position and leaving pay rate nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:
I may be reading to much into this but what I gather isn’t that its good references or made up. Its about following directions. Then one thing I will say in the applicants defense is a lot of people are networking and it is possible they found out about the job threw family and friends that may have not conveyed your needs to them.

Last edited:
I agree with others about references. You should modify your procedure to make references available “upon request.” That means, you’ve interviewed the applicant and are interested in making them an offer of employment, pending further information: credit check, background check, MV check, reference check, etc…

Last edited:
Rockstar hit the nail on the head. This is more about following instructions than it is about the references.

Last edited:
Does anybody have a test they give prospective employees to check their ability to do math, learn, use reason, or maybe do more than just breath and eat?
I have hired some real superstars and I have hired some real duds, I am currently on a dud spell and need to change my approach. I need a superstar or two to help me stay sane.
I used to work in the power industry and all utilities would have a test they give prospective employees to screen out those that could not read, comprehend or reason their way through a problem. They also tested math skills, something that is lacking in the digital generation.

Rick

Last edited:
230_2.png
Daddio:
Rockstar hit the nail on the head. This is more about following instructions than it is about the references.
You’re asking for private information. I don’t want to apply at 20 places and have 10 of them check my references. When references are the thing stopping you from offering me the job, I’ll gladly provide them. How do I know I even want to work for you?

Last edited:
48.png
snowman:
230_2.png
Daddio:
You’re asking for private information. I don’t want to apply at 20 places and have 10 of them check my references. When references are the thing stopping you from offering me the job, I’ll gladly provide them. How do I know I even want to work for you?
I think your still mising the point. The app. is in itself a minor test. If they can spell the name of the street they live on and town correctly, If they can coherently describe duties on past jobs and reason they left, can you even tell what they wrote. Did they care enough to fill it out properly and complete all the sections? Did somebody else fill the thing out for them and then have them sign it? And yes, can they read and follow directions.

I am not calling references unless I am interested in hiring the person. I normally don’t even call references unless it is someone I know. I realized the futility of this when I hired a guy that used to work at Pizza Hut. I called his former manager, she gave in a glowing reference and would hire him back in a heartbeat etc. etc. I found out later it was his mother, she had remarried and had a different name.

Rick

Last edited:
The app. is in itself a minor test
You’re exactly right. Only it tests in both directions. It tells me immediately about the employer’s staffing and business practice. It speaks loudly about the employer’s professionalism and education.

Last edited:
I’m going to join the “upon request is okay” side here. If I apply to work for you and you’re seriously considering hiring me, i’ll gladly give you all the references you want so you can make a final decision on whether to hire me or not. However, if i’m just walking in and applying with the masses, i dont want to list all that information and not know how its going to be handled after I turn in the app. How do i know you’re not just chucking the app in the trash out where anybody can get ahold of that information?

As a compromise from both sides, why not put a place on your app for reference names, years acquainted, and association, and ask for the contact info at a later time if you’re really interested in that person. If you’re wanting to test them, put in the instructions not to list the contact info, and then put a big blank space at the end of each entry. If they list the contact info in the blank space, then they didnt follow the instructions…

Last edited:
Back