Continue to Site

Anyone follow Seth Godin?

My business partner and I were just debating this same thing in relation to orders we take through and local online-ordering student website. We spend about $1 in advertising for every $9 in sales and is that worth doing?

The debate we are having centers around whether the labor to do this business is “free” or not. Management costs are the same. What we can’t decide is if that extra %5 boost to sales makes a difference in the way we schedule kitchen, prep and drivers or not since these are steady sales and they are reflected in our average-hourly reports off of which we schedule. Are those extra orders we get every day enough to shift the numbers above the “schedule another worker” thresholds or not - that is the question we are trying to answer.

Anyways, what Seth is writing about makes me rethink getting involved with Twitter finally. If you are slow and “below capacity,” you could send out a tweet with an aggressive deal and take advantage of your margin. Maybe a POS system could be programmed to do this automatically: “beep, boop, beep… labor is too high… initiating aggressive social-media posts.”

Last edited:
Is $1 in advertising that generates $9 in sales worth it…Maybe!..11.11%…

If you have to do it forever then it is probably higher that you would like it to be…But it still may be profitable…Where it gets harder to figure out, is how much of this cost is every day marketing cost and how much is the cost you allocate to customer acquisition…Remember a customer in your data base (or on your Facebook or Twitter list) has a future value…

Indys needs to spend a higher % of sales on customer acquisition and marketing than a chain because they pay more for almost everything they do…And Indy might have to spend 6% to 9% to equal the reach of a chain that spends 4% to 6%…

Last edited:
brad randall:
We spend about $1 in advertising for every $9 in sales and is that worth doing?
If you wouldn’t get those customers in without it, I’d say that’s a great deal.

Last edited:
Back