Continue to Site

Ask The Experts: Question for Tom Lehmann

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

i have been operating a pizzeria in albuquerque, nm for 5 years. Before that i was in cincinnati, oh. I have still not properly formulated the process for my sicilian dough here. i am assuming our extremely dry climate and high altitude (approximately 5500 ft.) have something to do with the problem and have been trying to adjust my yeast and water mixtures. Nothing thus far has seemed to work. Here is the current recipe and process. any suggestions would be great.

50 lbs. of gold medal flour
14 liters of water
1/3 cup of yeast
2 cups sugar
2 cups salt
2 liters of oil

I prepare the yeast first. 2 liters of water at 110 mixed with 2.5 oz sugar and 1/3 cup of yeast. Stirred and let sit for 10 minutes.
While the yeast is preparing i mix the sugar, salt, and water in my 60 gallon hobart.
I set the hobart to 10 minutes on low speed then add the yeast, then flour, and then finally the oil while mixing.

The recipe works great for my hand tossed but seems to dry out in the rising process once panned for the sicilian.

After the dough is finished it is removed and portioned into plastic food bags then trayed to proof.
Once proofed it is placed into the half sheet pans and placed back on the rack to proof again.
The dough is then docked out to fit the area of the pan and then placed back on the rack to proof the final time and refrigerated until use.

Any pointers on possible areas in the process are greatly appreciated. I used the same process in cincinnati and the result was perfect so a little frustrated in working it out here in albuquerque. Thanks for the help. Derek

BYP;
What is your finished dough temperature?
Just for conformation, what type of yeast are you using, what does it say on the bag?
As soon as I hear back from you on these two points I will be able to respond to your question.
Thanks,
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back