Continue to Site

attn TOM or any organic flour users

johnmorrison

Tom, i read you have gone GMills organic. How did this affect your sales ? I calculated using GM organic flour would cost me an extra 8K a year, did you raise prices to compensate ? Was the change in your crust for the better taste wise ? Currently we are using Pendleton Power Flour bleached enriched high gluten. Is it a tough switch to make ? I hate to rock the boat, people luv our crust, but i would love to produce a healthier product and possible have a great USP-unique selling point as well,any information would be helpful thank you.

Last edited:
Are your sauces, cheeses and toppings also organic? Just curious… Seems like it would be a waste to have an organic crust if nothing else on the pizza was organic.

No they are not. Most people seem concerned with the gluten in the flour as the problem with digestive issues. Maybe organic flour would be better for everyone ? Tom uses it, i would like to find out why !

Last edited:
We have worked with both “regular” pizza flours as well as “organic” pizza flours. Due to its widespread availability we have used doughs made with Sperry Organic Flour during our annual pizza seminar right alongside our regular doughs and we don’t see any significant difference in functionality out to 48-hours of refrigerated storage (cold ferment) time, but after that the dough seems a little sluggish due to the fact that the flour is not malted. When we added a small amount of diastatic malt powder to the dough it performed as well as any of our other doughs up to 96-hours. I’ve not tested it beyond that time. As for flavor of the finished crust we have never seen any difference between those made with organic or non-organic flour. So why use organic flour? It might be part of an organic pizza concept utilizing organic toppings, or you might want to just advertise your pizzas as being made with organic flour to set yourself apart from the guy down the street. As for cost, I don’t go into that swamp, but keep in mind that it only takes, on average, 10-ounces of flour to make 1-pound of pizza dough and a $10.00 increase in cost for a 50-pound bag of flour will increase your dough cost by roughly 12.5-cents per pound. Can you absorb this cost? I can’t answer that but I have seen shops change over to 100% organic flour with a lot of consumer advertising explaining how, to keep bringing our customers the best pizza in town we are now using organic flour to make all of our pizzas (this is where you make the price adjustment to your pizzas) or you can offer it as part of a higher priced “organic pizza” option.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back