Continue to Site

Average Sq. Ft. for a sandwich shop?

Integraoligist

Was wondering, for those of you have have just a standard sandwich shop, Subway, Jimmy Johns, Quiznos style… what kind of square footage are you using?

I’ve been scouting shops but the one I would really like is almost 1500 sq. ft. I was ready to go with it but then I go into a Subway to get something to eat the other day and i swear there shop looks to be 700 sq.ft.

I’m only looking to have maybe 6-10 4-person tables as that particular shop i’m looking at is positioned in the middle of a bunch of businesses, but i’m not sure if the employees of the other businesses will be sitting in and eating or going back to work and eat.
It’s by a Dominicks, 4 banks, babies r us, and a staples… plus about 6 other smaller businesses.
Of course the rent is very high compared to other spots in the area, but it is in the dead center of this shopping center.

The closest sandwich shop is across the busy 4 lane highway, which is a Jimmy Johns who always has a ton of business, otherwise there is a Subway 1mi. north and 1 mi. south of here.

What are your guys thoughts?

Last edited:
2 of our local Subways are well under 1,000 square feet…One only has 18 seats…

Last edited:
I found some info on Quizno’s, their average is around 1400sq. ft. But why so large?

I’m trying to get an equipment list together with dimensions, and throw everything into a layout of the unit’s i’m looking at.

We dont use ovens or freezers like my pizza shops had, so that cuts down on so much space that I think i’m forgetting something, just not sure what!

I’ve been working on the “back room” area (not visible by the customers) and the only items i can come up with is a 3-hole sink, a 3-door reach-in cooler for extra veggie storage, BIB dispenser, and just standard storage for cups, bags and various.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Not up on what all is in a normal lay-out, but both the Subways and the JJ’s in my area have decent sized walk-ins. There’s more back-room and dry storage area than there is in the front, except for one Subway which seats maybe 40.

Last edited:
I just wanted to add that in an area like you describe you will have a large dine-in customer base. People want and need a place to sit while shopping. I also agree with the need for larger cooler capacity than you may think. If the numbers work I think the 1500 is a good number.

I thought I would share something I have done before and would do again when laying out any business that uses a small footprint of a space. I went out into one of our outbuildings and some colored kids chalk. I then drew out the foor space and every item I wanted in there. I ran Autocad for years and have designed many houses and the one thing that I always made sure of was no matter how big something looked on paper or how small…I made the soon-to-be owners of this house go out with me to walk into a room of comparable size and visualize their furniture and a/v ideas in person. I even worked with local designers for cardboard cut-outs of different sofas and chairs to show how fast the room filled and the walkways disappeared. It was a little work and effort but I never had a customer come back and complain. Go get a can of marking spray paint and hit the back yard if you have too. It all washes away in a few weeks. Tell the wife you are marking the yard for the new pool! 8)

Here are some more specs on the facility that I just received:

CENTER INFORMATION
3-Mile
Square Footage 173,981
Population 70,053
Avg. Household Income $90,435
Estimated Households 2016 29,135

Population 2010
1mi. 7,943
3mi.70,053
5mi.146,743

Avg. Household Income
1mi.87,697
3mi.90,435
5mi.82,710

Estimated House Holds 2016
1mi.3,584
3mi.29,135
5mi.61,411

I’m looking at spot #1 in the picture… its the smallest available at 1432 sq. ft. at $25.25 per sq.ft. (with CAM) so a total monthly rent of $3013.17
They said an average of 26,800 cars per day on the by the bank and taco bell in the photo.
Also in the plaza (the neighbors)
Chineese take out 1,500 SF
DENTAL Office 3,000 SF
PIZZA Take out 1,500 SF
NAIL SALON 1,125 SF
Clothing Store 1,125 SF
MAILBOX STORE 1,176 SF
HAIR CUTTERY 1,125 SF
VISION CENTER 1,600 SF
TCBY 1,600 SF
H & R BLOCK 1,600 SF
CLEANERS 1,600 SF
Embroidery 1,600 SF
Cell Phone Shop 1,745 SF

What are all of your opinions on this particular spot with these specs?

Last edited:
I like the #1 corner spot. You are at the end of the long driveway in off the main road. People will see you on that first spot as they enter to park. Is there a stop sign there for entering traffic? You are also in an area that can afford quality pizza. You will pay for that space…as stated. I think if you offer a higher quality menu and not just a delco with average pizza you will do great. Give them something they will seek out and eat. Also…think about a high-end take and bake option. Frozen pies like Lou Malnatis does. Another option for people doing their shopping at Dominicks.

Mike, deffinitly did NOT want to do pizza at this location, just subs like Subway/Quiznos. That area is well over populated with pizza shops. There are 12 pizza places within a 1/2mi. radius of this location.

Last edited:
That said, how about a high-end deli! Something other than fast food subs. Take a look at TooJay’s Deli out of Florida as an idea. Great meats and cheeses, sides, soups and salads, deserts! They charge for what you get. No five dollar footlongs…but I would rather have a $8 real meat sub than a $5 processed crap.

Actually you hit the nail on the head. I am planning on having a deli case with the meats and cheese right there so when people order a Sub or Wrap the meat gets pulled from the case, sliced in front of you and placed right on the sandwich (will have cheese pre-cut to save time). Was also going to have 2 soups on hand and also do salads.

O yes, and also a small conveyer oven to toast the sub/wrap if wanted.

I didnt want to get into any larger of menu, I figure the majority of the customers will be employees from nearby shops so it all needs to be done quick as most only have 30min. lunch breaks. I’m actually talking with one of the bank managers now to get more of an idea of what employees in that area do for lunch and what they want.

Last edited:
Also, I was looking at a Panini Press instead of using a conveyor oven… I would assume they would both take about the same amount of time to toast the subs/wraps. But the conveyor would have to be in standby mode all day and the Press would have to be set and stay on all day as well. Wouldnt the Panini Press use less electric?

And when using a Panini Press for doing subs, I assume that you guys would just but the bread/meat/cheese in and toast it, then remove and add all the toppings and sauces… I would like to complete the sandwich then put it in the Press but I think the jucies would drip onto the grill and start smoking, correct? I will not have any ventilation so no smoking.

Last edited:
I owned a sub shop up until 3 weeks ago (sold to my long time manager) and my square footage was 1600. I had 30 tops and FREE Delivery. We actually baked our subs for 4:40 @ 400° so we had front side and back side makelines.

I could get away with a little less space (was going to relocate at one point and had drawings for a space that was 1400sf) but this works great.

www.subworksdeli.com

Last edited:
Back