Continue to Site

Avg delivery radius

Searched archives, no answer. What is a good average delivery radius?

I live ~10 miles from a good joint but they won’t deliver. I’m guessing, 10mi.

K

Last edited:
Depends on the area. The determining factors are traffic, density and ease of getting there and back.

Our is 2-3 miles.

Last edited:
we go by a time, say if on average it takes ten minutes then that is our delivery area. after that we have a few highend subdivisions on the bay we deliver to for more delivery charge ( they dont mind if the spend 500k on a weekend home in this area when average homes are 70-80, they dont mind at all). primo

We go by time. It’s not like you can draw a circle around your shop and claim that to be your delivery area. We established ours by driving during peak rush hour in every direction for 8 minutes. Where ever we ended up was the limit to our area.

I’d say the average radius for us is 6 miles.

Last edited:
I think it really depends on your area. In the middle of a metro area you have higher density customers and more traffic so a smaller geographic footprint. In our area, we on the edge of a town of about 100,000 and we decided to go 12 miles. Yeah, it’s a hike but it’s completely unserved - absolutely no one goes there so we own the market. It’s non-advertised, no effort on our part and makes up about 30% of our business. Sometimes they have to wait an hour to hour and 20 but to them, it’s worth it. We do charge $3 delivery and did upgrade our bags to ensure their orders are hot when they get them.

However, the other 70% is 6 miles or less. We do like those better 😃

Last edited:
You can’t go by a radius in many areas. You need to consider factors of geography and traffic and what your market looks like.
If I go 2 miles West I cover 95% of the potential market before you hit wasteland. If I go 2 miles East, I leave a massive residential concentration just a few minutes farther wtih no good competitor serving them.

Last edited:
Even that varies by market. It can take 8 minutes to get three blocks in some downtown locations…

Last edited:
Time is much more important than distance.

It’s probably best for labor and service if your drivers never take more than 20 minutes round-trip on any single delivery (worst case, single run to the far edge of the area, no other deliveries going that direction–8-9 minutes there, a few minutes to make the delivery, 8-9 minutes back).

You’ve got to pay $3 or more in labor/taxes, plus whatever you pay for vehicle reimbursement, when a driver is gone for 20-25 minutes. If it’s a only a $15 order, it’s not worth it for a driver to be gone longer.

I’ve noticed that a lot of Pizza Hut and Domino’s stores in my metro area are closing and consolidating delivery areas. They’re fools, if you ask me. Poor food that’s hardly inexpensive and ever-worsening service to boot? No wonder they can’t seem to reverse their slide into mediocrity.

I’m in a dense metro area and only go about 2 miles. But I agree with the others, time is most important. Don’t forget about rivers or railroad tracks. If there’s only one bridge that will slow you down and a train could kill your Friday night service.

Last edited:
Back