Continue to Site

BBQ baby back ribs

Dmitri

i am thinking of adding bbq ribs to my menu. Those things are expensive, and half rack will cost me about 4 dollars or more, never mind f.f. conteiner, bbq… but if we keep in mind that we bring dollars in bank and not the percent, it makes sence cause you sell half rack for like 10-11 dollars. Anyways, i just wanted to ask if anybody is doing it or done it in the past and may be could share some info and advice on cooking, serving it or advice on if should get involved in those.

Last edited:
Dmitri

We do about 20kg a week. Cost us $8.50 kg. We get the ribs and slice them into 3’s or 2’s for big end ones. Slice from the top end (wider bone or flap end) to about 1/2 inch from the bottom. Sprinkle meat tenderiser over them.

Make marinade from Masterfoods Smokey BBQ Mariande sauce ( I guess you would have this in the US) 3 parts, and 1 part pineaplle juice which we strain from our cans of pineappple pieces.

Put ribs in tubs and pour mariande mix over them. Put lid on and leave in coolroom for 24hrs.

We put ours through the conveyor oven at 220o clesius for 7 minutes and then turn them and do the other side.

Leave to cool and then portion control to 9 - 10 pieces at 450g (1lb). We do ours in low wide foil containers. Place in coolroom until required.

When needed take lid off and heat in microwave for 1 minute. Brush BBQ sauce over them and put through conveyor oven at 262o celsius for 7 minutes. They end up great.

Guaranteed to bring in extra sales. All up cost around $5.50 and sell for $10. Poor % but as an add on line an extra $4.50 to the bottom line.

Dave

Last edited:
this is my specialty I have BBQ everything good upsells…wat do u need 2 know ??

Last edited:
i dont know how to cook them, i found a few recipes on the web, and they all say the same - marinate them overnight in bbq sauce in teen foil and then stick in oven at 300F and cook for 2.5 hours (temperature and cooking time varies recipe to recipe), then take foil off , brush more bbq, another 15 min. - all set. My problem with this - bbq sauce gets black, i think also maybe because of juice that occululates overnight on the bottom of the foil “dish”, anyways i’ve been experimenting for a while now, and it not easy.
Wa Dave - i’m not sure i understood your way to cut them, can you explain it again? you cut rack in like 5-7 peaces with 2 ribs in each? and do not compleatly separate them?
I need help finding the way to cook them. I have Blodgett deck oven. Thank you.

Last edited:
48.png
Dmitri:
i dont know how to cook them, i found a few recipes on the web, and they all say the same - marinate them overnight in bbq sauce in teen foil and then stick in oven at 300F and cook for 2.5 hours (temperature and cooking time varies recipe to recipe), then take foil off , brush more bbq, another 15 min. - all set. My problem with this - bbq sauce gets black, i think also maybe because of juice that occululates overnight on the bottom of the foil “dish”, anyways i’ve been experimenting for a while now, and it not easy.
Wa Dave - i’m not sure i understood your way to cut them, can you explain it again? you cut rack in like 5-7 peaces with 2 ribs in each? and do not compleatly separate them?
I need help finding the way to cook them. I have Blodgett deck oven. Thank you.
Dmitri

The rack of ribs are in 10 bones sets. Cut down between each bone to about 1/2" from the bottom. There is a top and bottom end of the bones with the top either being the larger or having a fatty flap. It doesn’t really matter which end you cut from but it does make it easier to pull apart when you cut from top down. We cut the smaller end of the rack into 3 bone widths and the bigger end either 1 or 2 depending on size. This way it makes it easier to proportion a set number of ribs to weight ratio.

If I get a chance I will get some photos of when we next cut the ribs so you can get abetter idea of what I am trying to explain. When I get them I will PM you to get an email address to send the pics to.

Regards
Dave

Last edited:
I dont do it that way Dave sorry I boil them first much quicker and stay more tender that way. I make beef & pork ribs after boil season well put sauce on and put in fridge for 12- 24 hours. Then put in oven much more tender that way falls off the bone…for 15 min. at 375.

Last edited:
I use a smokaroma pressure smoker, and it rocks! It can cook up to 45 pounds of ribs in about an hour, and they come out perfect. After I smoke them I cool them down and wrap them up in food wrap, and then I just sauce them and chargrill them to order. It really could not be easier, and they easily compete with the bbq places that smoke them for hours and hours. You could finish them in an oven just as well, but I really like the char marks. Good luck!

Last edited:
Sorry, but I gotta chime in.
I don’t sell ribs, but I make 'em at home.
And I’m a BBQ snob purist. These are all valid shortcuts, but if you can, go old-school, real BBQ style…which is:
a) no marinade - it’s a DRY SPICE RUB. Pepper, brown sugar, etc, Rub the ribs in it and let it sit in THAT overnight.
b) Smoke em. No coal, no oven, no foil. Use a smoker that burns wood in one compartment, while the ribs are in another compartment. They never get past about 200-250 degrees, and they slow cook in the hot smoke all day.

Nothing like it. Get a smoker at home - you’ll get hooked!!

I use mine for lots of stuff - throw a couple hunks of wood on while grilling burgers or pork chops. I stock (in the garage) mesquite, hickory, and a fruit wood (apple or cherry) - yummmmm.

Last edited:
Dave, so you cut them not to make them cook faster or anything like that - just for better portion cotrol, right? And that raises my other question for everybody. If i dont do what Dave says and cut them in smaller pieces and try to keep half-rack a solid half-rack and not 3 pieces that remind you half rack when put together, then what about portion control? Example: i got a case of baby-backs, the label says - 2.25lb each rack, OK, so if i paid 3.20 dollars a lb. then a full rack costs me 7.20, right? but what i really found in the case is ribs that weighted 2.75 lb. instead of promised 2.25, and thats a bit difference. So is this why, Dave, you cut them in smaller pieces? And how do you guys go about it - racks variing in weight?
My other question - if those baby-backs are so expensive, is there an alternative? i heard about St. Louis ribs, which are supposed to be a little cheaper?

Last edited:
St. Louis ribs are spare ribs (from the b r e a s t plate) that are trimmed & cut to resemble baby-back ribs (Pork Chop "handles), but are generally larger in size/weight…

we use an Alto-Shaam to slow-smoke our BBQ products (by using an after-market smoke generator)

Last edited:
Back